Saturday morning house to house not good enought anymore!

by XQsThaiPoes 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Just came from the assembly. They critisized us for going house to house implying that it was cheating the system and just a way to get FS hours with out talking to people. Now they want JWs to do mostly bus and business witnesses in the afternoon during weekdays. "It is more fufilling to reach people than to just count time" Their general spin is that h2h is ineffective, and so is speaking english. Not they want us to learn a foriegn laguage so we can bother people at work, or trying to get to work. This is an asinine religion. The same thing the "churches' say about preaching was sumerized in the talk "People don't like being bothered at home", but the solution is just as bad as the previous one.

Also we are preaching wrong. Now we are not suppossed to give talks or presentations that are bad news or "negative". We are suppossed to bring "the kingdom hope". Basically they are saying the same thing the critics are saying that we unafairly emphasize the bad in other people. They said we are "turning people off".

Lately I have been feeling like "apostates" are running the watchtower. Because every thing the watchtower has taught in the last few years is being replaced by basicaly cookie cutter secular advice. It is like the churches have been around longer than the wts and already know this stuff, but the hyper active upstart the wtbs assumes it was all satans system holding back "the truth". Now after over 100 years of hard knocks they are realizing um... maybe round wheels do work best? Maybe this whole vacume cleaner sales man routine is obsolete in anyplace with eletricity and indoor plumbing?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks for that observation. They might eventially catch up w the protestants.

S

• Pole
    Pole
    Because every thing the watchtower has taught in the last few years is being replaced by basicaly cookie cutter secular advice

True.Funny thing is though that they try to create an impression of being so original about giving aall this advice. I remeber from those theocratic school assignments, that one elder who was a pretty simple carpenter gave public advice to college graduates on how to read out passages from the Watchtower. He had a very serious face at those occasions.

It is like the churches have been around longer than the wts and already know this stuff, but the hyper active upstart the wtbs assumes it was all satans system holding back "the truth". Now after over 100 years of hard knocks they are realizing um... maybe round wheels do work best?

I wonder how much longer it's going to take before they go completely mainstream.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

One example was a talk on reading to your children. They actually turned "to God's word the bible for the answer". The bible blah blah "from infancy". "The word infant means non-speaking, that means we should read to our children before they can talk." Wow if it was not for the bible (or sesame street) some toddler would never have been read to! I can't wait until they make a talk on the bibles veiw of obesity. I wonder what the bible says?

• blondie
    blondie

12 The righteous himself will blossom forth as a palm tree does; As a cedar in Leb´a·non does, he will grow big. 13 Those who are planted in the house of Jehovah, In the courtyards of our God, they will blossom forth. 14 They will still keep on thriving during gray-headedness, Fat and fresh they will continue to be, PSALM 92:12-14

25 The generous soul will itself be made fat, and the one freely watering [others] will himself also be freely watered. PROVERBS 11:25

4 The lazy one is showing himself desirous, but his soul [has] nothing. However, the very soul of the diligent ones will be made fat. PROVERBS 13:4

30 The brightness of the eyes makes the heart rejoice; a report that is good makes the bones fat. PROVERBS 15:30

He that is arrogant in soul stirs up contention, but he that is relying upon Jehovah will be made fat. PROVERBS 28:25
  • Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

LOL Blondie. I wonder why we never heard those scriptures pontificated on. I only remember hearing something about gluttony in connection with all you can eat buffets in restaurants during convention times.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that they are turning people off at the door, and how much of it has to do with legalities.They've been turning people off at the door for over a hundred years, and it hasn't bothered them much before.
    I remember odd talks from the CO and DO the last couple of years I was in about trespassing signs, and that we are entering the properties at our own risk. They stated very carefully and plainly that the WTS would not assume any responsibility for any legal action a publisher had taken against them (yet at the same time somehow made the publishers feel guilty if they chose not to go to houses with the signs. So, everyone in my area, who were too poor to hire lawyers and deal with legal headaches, quit going to places with no trespassing signs. People caught on and started putting up more no trespassing signs, lol.And suddenly when the CO and DO came, the emphasis was on parking lot work (as if one couldn't get in trouble doing that-geesh). Well, by the next visit, the stores had clearly posted signs about solicitors, and specifically included religious solicitors in some places (don't know how legal that was of them, but they did it).
    And the whole "learn to speak another language" thing was emphasized in the last couple of years I was in, too. I guess you stand better odds of reaching people who are relative newcomers to the country, or who have a language barrier that may prevent them from reasoning on issues such as how they handle child abuse. Also, I imagine they are hopeful that people who have probably just moved thousands of miles aways frm their families will be more amenable to changing their religions since they don't have the influence of their family members to counter the stuff the WTS tells them.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Funny, guess not, but 25 years ago I had a pioneer partner that said they would eventually "go mainstream as Protestants." He was disfellowshipped for apostacy - only problem - he killed himself, so there is no need for reinstatement. The good news - I have polished up my pig Latin and have the next month's afternoons off and scheduled for streetcar witnessing. Now, if I could only get 100,000 of the "New & Better" tracts from the Literature Servant. Otherwise, I may have to hand out apostate tracts sans an Brooklyn imprimatur.

Nobody said it would be easy...

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    Lately I have been feeling like "apostates" are running the watchtower.

XQ--During the final part of my WT daze (days) I kept flashing on this. It was like the WT was fitting the definition of apostate that tthe WT had programmed into my mind over the years. They were turning into an obvious Pharidisaic (Is that a word?) system before my eyes. Admittedly they were like this all along, but were becoming so obviously more so that I was forced to see the whole thing for what it was. In the end they became so obvious to me.

The scripture that was flashing in my mind through all of this was Matthew 23:23 &24

23"Woe to you, scribes and pharisees, hypocrites! because you give the the of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the law, namely justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was binding to do, yet not to disregard the other things.24 Blind guides, who strain out the gnat, but gulp down the camel!

I also thought a lot about the bible's 2 greatest commandments to Love of God and neighbor (not a WT teaching) How can you show love for you neighbor if you aren't even supposed to associate with them and also should be viewing them as wicked.

The scripture "they would have no natural affection" came to mind when the elders in my congo and CO told me that they had a concern for me becoming attached to any grandchildren that my daughter may have--being that she was an unbeliever. If I did become attached to the grandkids my heart might become divided towards the Org (knowing that they would die at the big A. Overseers words "The elders and I have this concern for you if there are ever any grandchildren out of your daughter's marriage you may become attached to them." He then went on to tell me how he had to emotionally detach from his "unbelieving family" so he woudn't feel so bad when they died at the big A...

After my whole WT experience I don't know what in the heck I believe about the bible or God or anything spiritual, but I did study the bible long enough to know the WT does not practice what it preaches in regards to much the bible has to say and if you were going to judge the WT Org by the book--apostate would be a fitting description...

• the mole
    the mole

i remember alot of witness would sit at the donut shop and count those hours also...i used to laugh because we drove around and sat for hours while many did call backs and we counted all those hours also. i would always want to hang out with the younger crowd on sat mornings. we would do one street then go to starbucks until 11am ..i always had my expected 10 hrs a month..

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Remember that they used to tell us that even if we had an unresponsive territory we were still giving a witness to those in the community who would see us walking around in our uncomfortable dress clothes looking like idiots doing God's work?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit