United Nations

by CakeMonkey 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CakeMonkey
    CakeMonkey

Thank you, Farkel. Can you or someone tell me why the United Nations (and first the League of Nations, as I've been reading) was so villified in the first place? Its sounds more than a little strange to be angry at the United Nations and accuse it of being a 'tool of Satan' when in fact it's actually been a sometimes great stablizer of world affairs. Does anyone know the thinking behind this? Was the League of Nations threatening towards the witnesses in any way? And does the United Nations know that (however many) millions of Jwitnesses think it is the work of the Devil? It's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, honestly.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You are probably just about ready to delve into the more wordy explanations that you have been avoiding, but I'll try to offer a little cheat sheet here:

It all begins with the Old Testament book of Daniel, which the JWs amalgamate with the New Testament book of Revelations to come up with their apocalyptic dogma.

JWs are taught that the "prophecies" of Daniel have a minor and a major fulfillment - the minor fulfillment supposedly took place before Jesus was born, and the major fulfilment takes place at the end of the world.

That's NOW, by the way. So they say.

This "prophecy" is said to predict the march of world powers, and part of the prophecy is of a "scarlet colored wild beast" that cavorts with a whore. The whore is false religion, and the scarlet colored wild beast is the League of nations/ United Nations, according to the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society.

Not so many years ago the Watchtower taught that the end-times "King of the North" mentioned in Daniel's "prophecy" was the Soviet Union. When the Soviet Union fell apart, the Watchtower was caught with their prophetic pants down. Right now, I think they're saying that the identity of the "King of the North" is uncertain. I wouldn't be at all surprised if todays Dubs would claim that the WTS never taught the KotN was the Soviet Union, but books and magazines exist that prove otherwise.

Yeah, DUH!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit