Request from All the UK Peeps

by FiveShadows 11 Replies latest jw friends

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Hi everyone,

I am currently attempting to get my passport and am very eager to visit the Uk. I don't want to go there and get stuck at some cheap tourist trap, nor do i want to spend a crap load of money on hotel only. The prices I look online, usually, as i always find them to be, are extremely over priced. But the expensive hotels are always advertized more often then the others. Even here in the United states, I know i can find a motel for $30.00 a night but when i look online it's like freaking 99.00 for the same thing. Could someone from there tell me some decent hotel names so i can try to look them up online and get a decent room with peace and security? Also, where would you recommend to go to see the best sights and with the least tourist around? My biggest fear is coming back and thinking i wasted my money because I didn't know what to do and where to go when I got there. I'm very eager to visit England but being that this will be my first out of the USA trip alone, I don' twant to make lots of mistakes. I also understand there is a little bit of cultural difference, and don't want to offend anyone unconsciciously. As you can tell i'm a bit nervious and excited. Apprehensive. Anyhow, If anyone could contact me through Aim FiveShadows I would really like to discuss this more thoroughly to put aside my anxieties and get educated about what to expect, and plan my trip accordingly. I have no problem making a specific time to meet someone on aim to discuss this. I thank anyone for their help.

FiveShadows

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

If you go to London I can tell you a very decent hotel right in Covent Garden for about 70 pounds a night. You won't find anything cheaper that's bearable, not in downtown London.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cultural differences, they're used to Americans. Don't say "paki" to or around someone from Pakistan, that's all. And do NOT refer to me by my board name (as if you would), or mention your fanny pack, that makes them blush and fall about laughing.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.bbengland.com/

you can click on areas on the map or put in locations

• dh
    dh

i know a nice little family run place in notting hill where i stayed once for a few nights in 1998, it's in a cool area and has easy access to everywhere and is 2 minutes walk from the tube, the cost is around GBP 40.00, it's only 3 star, but i think it's very reasonable for London.

The Gate Hotel
    6 Portobello Road
    Notting Hill Gate
    London W11 3DG

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7221 0707
    Fax: +44 (0) 020 7221 9128

• Aikon
    Aikon

Hi

Is it London, you only wont to see???

Secondly, there are much cheaper B&B on the out skirt of London about 8 miles from the centre and about £25 per night, As I go to London about every 6 weeks from the north of England I can put you in touch with decent hotels

Aikon

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows
    If you go to London I can tell you a very decent hotel right in Covent Garden for about 70 pounds a night. You won't find anything cheaper that's bearable, not in downtown London.

I'd like to visit london, 70 pounds a night...wow that's a bit over my budget...if i'm not mistaken ...in american currency that's about 105-110 a night. I don't have a problem living on the outskirts to save the money.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cultural differences, they're used to Americans. Don't say "paki" to or around someone from Pakistan, that's all.

Well i wouldn't worry too much about that, I am Indian not native but from india, i really don't have a desire to go there. Yeah I saw 'bend it like bechem' (spell check?) ....my family is very much like the family in that movie, with the exception of the jw and 'can't marry white people' thing.

And do NOT refer to me by my board name (as if you would), or mention your fanny pack, that makes them blush and fall about laughing.

If i were to meet anyone from this board, don't worry i'll ask 'are you from jw.com?' and get names before addressing.

you can click on areas on the map or put in locations

Thanks Nelly

i know a nice little family run place in notting hill where i stayed once for a few nights in 1998, it's in a cool area and has easy access to everywhere and is 2 minutes walk from the tube, the cost is around GBP 40.00, it's only 3 star, but i think it's very reasonable for London.

What's the tube?

Is it London, you only wont to see???

London is a spot i'd like to visit. I kinda want to go all over, but i don' treally think that's a good idea yet. I'd like to get everything planned and then see what I'll have room for. I'm also very concerned about the currency exchange. I've never really had to think in other currencies before.

FiveShadows

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

You could try a site like lastminute.com They often have rooms well below the rack rate, especially if you go off-season.

• Gadget
    Gadget

The tube is the London Underground, a railway(Mostly Undergroud) in London. I find this is normally the easiest way to get around when I'm there, as long as you can follow a map.

When I go travelling in the UK I normally stop at a place from http://www.backpackers.co.uk/ , they have places from £10 a night there, even in central London. I like staying in hostels, all of the ones I've stopped in have been very secure, safe and clean. You might have to provide your own padlock for a locker though. The thing I like about them is that most of the other people staying there are travelling on they're own too, so everybody mixes in and I've made some very good friends from around the world that way.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

There are a few 'chains' of cheap rooms available - usually close to motorways or A-roads - Travelodges - usually clean and pleasant, and tend to cost in the region of £35ish per night.

If you want no frills accommodation - there are the Formule One hotels - £25 per night, usually clean, but not particularly pleasant!!

Hope you enjoy your time in the UK; If you're coming up to Robin Hood territory (East Midlands, Nottinghamshire) let me know and if possible, will meet up for a beer or three!!

Cheers,

Bull!

• Sirona
    Sirona

If I were you I'd stay just a couple of nights in London, then use the rest of your time exploring elsewhere! Decide if there are any famous places you'd like to see (Like stonehenge, etc)

You can easily travel by train and I think there are all inclusive train travel packages. That way, you could go up North (the best place IMHO, that is where I'm from ) and even up to Scotland (which shouldn't be missed). I live just an hours drive from Wales too, which is also gorgeous.

The lake district is also breathtaking and again just 1 - 1.5 hours from where I live. The North has its own charm. Plus its usually much cheaper than elsewhere. The lakes and parts of wales has bed and breakfasts for £20 a night or less and they're pretty nice.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit