Fish & Chips He Said Crisply..

by Englishman 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Americans call 'em Chips. We call them Crisps.

Now..these are Fish and Chips. But aren't chips really crisps?

Aaagh...my brain hurts.

Englishman.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah and you dumb BLOKES talk about hiring inanimate objects. How much do they pay that car they hire to take them places? I hope the car liked what it got paid.

• little witch
    little witch

Allow me to explain Dear Eman,

You see, crisps are really crispy chips off chips. Chips are not crispy, but chippy chips, served with crispy fish. Now I prefer my crispy chips with flavorful dips, but my chippy chips with fish. Clear?

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Geez! I wish you Brits would learn to call things by the correct names!

BTW: Your British "chips" are actually our "french fries".

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

My guess is that your chips is our fries?

• tmo
    tmo

Thanks little witch for clearing that up! I have to go - time to fill up the petrol then get a spot of tea.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Thanks little witch for clearing that up! I have to go - time to fill up the petrol then get a spot of tea.

Thank God for that - someone who speaks perfect English. Englishman.off to eat his tea..

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

ahem...

wouldn't that be "Freedom Fries"?

Country Girl

• NWT@Cutlip.Org
    [email protected]

Thank God for that - someone who speaks perfect English.

Englishman:

When I saw your title, I thought it was a great "Tom Swifty" -- but after reading the comments, I wonder if a Brit would even know that Americanism. Y'all keep drifting farther and farther from standard English usage.

In a recent discussion with a guy (ah ... "chap") in England I asked if he was ready to "say uncle" and he didn't know what that meant. Well, I checked my dictionaries and the American Heritage Dictionary gives my meaning as the fourth definition. Every American knows what "saying uncle" means!

My English may not be "Perfect," but at least, it's impeccable.

--

• Simon
    Simon

You are getting confused with French Fries ... oh, sorry "Freedom Fries"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit