Meetings on sunday... do you know why?

by ChileanRick 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

Every other religion has it on Sundays

• jgnat
    jgnat

EXCEPT, JH, for the World Wide Church of God, the Seventh Day Adventists, and Jews. The WTBTS follows Babylon.

http://www.answers2prayer.org/bible_questions/Answers/law/Sunday_or_Saturday.html

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I remember one time in the 80's when the congo had a group study on a Sunday morning, talk and WT on Monday and a normal Thursday meeting. We were not forced to but somebody thought it would stimulate field service to all go out after the group .....At first it did, but human nature took over and we found it was great to have just an hour at a local group on Sunday and the rest of the day to ourselves.. it also got hard to get speakers to visit on a Monday night.. I always favoured the arrangement, as did a lot of us, but eventually we had a ruling from on high that Sunday meetings were the thing to do , so it changed back

• JH
    JH

thanks for the info jgnat

• jgnat
  • Gordy
    Gordy

Many years ago when I went to Whitby in Yorkshire. They had their Congregation Book Studies on a Sunday morning. The Public talk and WT study was Tuesday and School/Service meeting on Thursday. They said this was because Whitby was a big tourist place and many of the congregation worked on Sunday, because of that.

• heathen
    heathen

That's a good question . I would think it because people are generally off from work on sunday . Also it may be because people that go to church are used to doing so on sunday so it works better during the conversion process . It does surprise me that they still use the pagan names of days since they are so paranoid about what is pagan and accepted by main stream religion and how evil it is to even attend another church .

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Bethels worldwide also meet on Sunday

• blondie
    blondie

My grandparents attended the meetings in the 20's and the 30's. They went out in field service all day long on Sunday and then had the Watchtower Study at 6 p.m. Public talks didn't really take hold until the 40's when the brothers starting having more formal training in giving talks.

They handed out tracts in front of churches inviting people to the meeting place (few congregations owned their own buildings then but rented space). The hope was that people would come later that same day to the talk (if they had one) and the WT study.

w62 4/1 p. 221 Love and Loyalty ***

Later on Papa would turn up at the church where he had been an officer and distribute Bible tracts to the folks as they left on Sunday mornings.

w65 4/1 p. 221 Remembering the Grand Creator in Young Manhood ***

During the few years before the turn of the century and many years afterward, our three principal ways of witnessing were by handing out Bible tracts in front of church doors on Sunday morning, by full-time preaching (called colporteuring in those days), and by public Bible addresses in hired halls.

w55 6/15 p. 367 Part 12: An Era of Prophesied Happiness Begins ***

Now by 1928 the congregational service organizations of Jehovah?s people had developed to the point where they accepted Sunday as the most suitable day to participate in the house-to-house preaching of Jehovah?s kingdom. In years past Sunday volunteer service had been regularly undertaken for free delivery of "Bible Students tracts" Sunday mornings under doors of homes and in front of church entrances. But regular Sunday preaching verbally at the doors of the people had not been a practice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit