What is globalization?

by cruzanheart 20 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Bisous ! Yeah go girl !

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Amen, Simon. And it's simply the strong taking advantage of the weak. Evolutionists claim this is survival of the fittest, but I feel that, unlike my beloved bassets, I do have a CHOICE on how to behave. There is something inside of me that makes me want to help the weak instead of killing them. Which is why I'll never get ahead in business, and that's okay.

I just got done seeing "Two Brothers," which is one of the most manipulative movies I've ever seen (I badly need a dose of The Simpsons or Monty Python), but it was interesting on a lot of levels. It was filmed in Cambodia and Thailand and supposedly took place at the early part of the 20th century (going by the clothes and the French Colonial presence). I looked at that lovely land, with the ruins of temples quietly inhabited by tigers and overgrown by lush vegetation (probably computer created, but what the heck), and thought of the changes seen by the countries that were part of French Indochine. War. Death, of people AND tigers. Terrorists. Child labor. CHEAP labor. Prostitution and tourist sex trips.

So is America any different? Or England? Back then they had tiger hunts. Today there are still fox hunts in England, baby calves tortured until they are made into veal in America and other places. Geese force-fed to create an extra large liver for pate de fois gras. Dogs bred in inhumane conditions so their puppies can be sold to pet shops. The list goes on and on.

It's a nasty world but all we can do is change it one person at a time. My son left that movie shocked at what people have done and continue to do to animals. Perhaps he will do more when he grows up, and what if his whole school class follows suit? And their children do even better?

There is ALWAYS hope. Don't lose it.

Nina (who is heading RIGHT NOW for something to get my friggin' mind off that bloody movie!!!)

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Cruzenheart : I do have a CHOICE on how to behave. There is something inside of me that makes me want to help the weak instead of killing them.
    I like what and how you said it ...
  • Xandria
    Xandria

I agree that with:

Globalization is rich people switching their manpower to companies where labour is cheaper with no regard to the people they make redundant or the ones they start taking advantage of. It is stripping local resources in order to make a bigger fast buck.

It is a disease that large corporates are inflicting on the world

But there is a bigger picture too and frankly it scares the caca out of me. Look up Agenda 21 and Smart Growth. To a point I can understand needing some things. But not in the totalistic context they are trying to put upon the global picture, the countries, the States and Cities. Like they say, it rolls down hill!

X.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Unlike those that only see the problems of globalization, I see humanity coming to grips with the reality that we are all citizens of one world wide community. Economics, the environment and politics all faced with the fact that an unhealthy childhood disease called "nationalism" is inadequate for the 21st century. Will there be birth pangs, yep! But we really have no choice. We will not only become aware of our shrinking globe, we will devise ways to live in harmony or contemplate mutual aniallation..

carmel

• heathen
    heathen
    We will not only become aware of our shrinking globe, we will devise ways to live in harmony or contemplate mutual aniallation..

That's typical liberal thinking there . We do not elect people here in the US to rule the world but to govern the US . Our money and resources are there for our well being and if the world can't get along without it then it deserves to be put out of it's misery . How much money and resources were wasted in vietnam or korea? and now we see comunism collapsing because it can't survive anyway .There will always be tyranny in parts of the world the question is are you going to wind up like that yourself ?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Globalization is the reason we all meet here! From all corners of the world!!!

DY

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I've often thought that globalization was very much what the JWs have long predicted about the world and wow, guess who gets honorable mention in the wikipedia article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Globalization is the ability to enlave people without calling it slavery.

Why buy a slave in the US or Britain when paying a worker in Africa or Mexico costs less than the cost of owning a slave.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Globalization is the ability to enlave people without calling it slavery.

Whatever its flaws (and there are many), global trade has lifted many millions of people out of starving poverty. I'd rather work in a sweatshop and have enough to eat than starve and millions of Indians and Chinese would too. My Volkswagen was assembled in Mexico and you can bet they would fight tooth and nail to keep their jobs. And no, it is not slavery, we had similar working conditions in the west during our own industrialization.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit