who would you trust

by joelbear 12 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Whenever I read an angry post with racial slurs or just mean language, I think, okay, picture someone who desperately needs someone to trust. Are they us?

Okay -- but I'd say that most of the posts here are like the ones you're calling for. Every couple of days it seems there's an "I'm new" post, and no matter how many times it happens, people jump on board to welcome, celebrate, commiserate, what have you. There's a lot of empathizing, anecdote-swapping, joking, and, to use the Witness word, "fellowship."

But dammit, sometimes I'm pissed and I want to vent! So when some asshole troll loser like Sue comes along, I'll take the bait, even if she's baiting me! It's necessary, on some psychological level, for me to enact in a virtual forum some of the arguments I'd like to have with certain Witnesses (my father, old friends who shun me, a certain body of elders) in reality. I get to rehearse my arguments and vent, and in the process, I learn something.

Maybe it's too rough for some, but those people have the majority of the other threads on the board. And hell -- out of all the screaming that occurred on the "Asshole" thread, what happened? A series of apologies and mushy gooey hugs the like of which I have never seen on a DB before! Even Farkel promised to be "kinder and gentler"!

And that's real, man. It's honest, and I prefer it to fake geniality and cliched manners.

Hugs,

Dedalus

• joelbear
    joelbear

Hi Dedalus,

You make some excellent points that I agree with.

I am not asking anyone to be fake. I am saying, all of us, including myself, should keep in mind the affect our words, including our angry words, have on others and choose the most productive way of dealing with situations, including taking conversations private when appropriate.

hugs

Joel

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

I must admit when I first started posting here I was somewhat taken aback by some of the responses I got.I realize now what the situation was and don't hold it against anyone-I jumped in the middle of something I didn't know about-my fault.
    Having been raised a JW,never allowed to question anything,I'm delighted to have a chance to join a good debate.I haven't had the life shattering experiences many have ,though.I'm sure someone in a delicate state of mind could get turned off pretty quick by some of the stuff that goes on here.
    But to answer your question-There are many JW's I'd trust with nothing,and many I'd trust with almost anything - except the sort of things we discuss here...
    On the other hand,though I haven't made any particular friends here yet,there are many here that I believe to be completely trustworthy and some I wouldn't trust at all..
    So I think both JWs and our group here are just like any other group of people-there are all kinds everywhere...

Cowboy

PS-Joelbear,what a website! I gotta admire a guy willing to bare all for the world to see.Especially his soul.
    (BTW-I love Jimmy Buffet and The Eagles too)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit