The Hooks: Which One Did You Bite?

by ezekiel3 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

ezekiel....The answer is 1-7--all of the above. I had always been an idealistic thinker--also have always had a depressive nature and was suffering from major post partum depression at the time of initiation--was easily lead and fed at the time.

• abbagail
    abbagail

#3 - #5 - #7

I had absolutely zero direction in life and had no idea 'why we are here' or what to do with myself. JWs provided the answer = "Serve God." And so I tried, and tried, and tried, and... :-/

Grew up Catholic and knew THAT was phoney-baloney by the time I was 8 years old (monotonous rituals; Latin Mass = no mind-stimulation whatsoever; Catechism giving explanations that 'made no sense;' etc. ... though singing with the class at Midnight Mass was about the only thrill ;-o Ave Marrrrrreeeeiiiiiiaaaaaaa).

Everything Will Be Taken Care Of (a/k/a Paradise Earth). One of my big worries when I was in my mid-twenties was, "What's gonna happen to me when I'm 48 and the year 2000 hits?" (seriously ;-)

And don't forget the COLORFUL BOOKS! I LOVED the colorful book covers... SURELY the "God of All Color" (green grass, blue skies, flowers, plants, fruiit and veggies, etc.) is The One behind all these bright colorful book covers! (and green bible to boot!)

AG

• lookingnow25
    lookingnow25

I was raised a witness, but still feel I was 'hooked'. When I was 12 my older brother died in a car crash, he was 20. We were very close and the thought of being able to see him after the resurrection was enough for me. This has been the hardest thing for me to let go of, I still really haven't totally I guess. Looking

• Special K
    Special K

My parents drug me into it at a very young age.. so basically raised a J.W.

Special K

• gumby
    gumby

Converted witnesses are people who are less educated in "things" that keep others out, or they have little self worth/ confidence, in being satisfied with figuring out life on their own, without being led by someone/thing.

Gumby

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

I'm 3rd gen born into the cult 1957 comply or "no meetings meant beatings".

We all got soul-raped and i am very angry about it.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

All of the points listed were factors. Armageddon was the one that grabbed me the most though. That teaching dovetailed with conclusions I had already reached privately i.e. life sucks and the world is headed towards a cataclysmic end.

• seesthesky
    seesthesky

man - it was the babes - that's all

• RR
    RR

Hooks? must have been the 49 virgins I was promised when I die

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit