new world translation inaccuracies

by doogie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

hey guys.

i know, it's a little early for this...but i started thinking about it last night and couldn't get past it.

i'm in the process of moving and last night i was packing up some books. lo and behold...i come across a copy of the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION. should i pack it? should i pitch it? should i use the paper for smokes? (i heard of one 'worldly' guy that would request a new bible every couple of months back home. turns out the super thin pages were perfect for rolling his doobies. i thought that was pretty hilarious.)

anyway, my question:

what are the inaccuracies of the NWT? i've heard that certain passages have been 'modified' and are completely different from other translations and also that certain words are inconsistently translated within the NWT itself. does anyone have any examples of these errors? i'd love to take a look at some of these for myself.

thanks -- doogs

• Richie
  • Richie
    Richie

When you just look at the NWT bible, it is written to deceive the readers and filled with mistakes, additions and changes just to facilitate the JW's agenda, certainly a clear departure from pure truth!

Greek scholar and Bible translator Dr. William Barclay says:"The deliberate distortion of truth by this sect is seen in their New Testament translations. [John 1:1; Col. 1:15-17; Phil. 2:6]... It is abundantly clear that a sect which can translate the New Testament like this is intellectually dishonest."

Dr. Robert H. Countess, author of The Jehovah's Witnesses' New Testament and instructor in Greek concludes: "NWT is, in some ways, like milk, but milk with an admixture of arsenic. Milk by itself can be wholesome, but this kind of mixing could very well prove injurious to one's health." He further states: "In the opinion of this investigator the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures must be viewed as a radically biased piece of work. At some points it is actually dishonest. At others it is neither modern nor scholarly...From a purely literary standpoint NWT suffers from a woodenness of style that makes sustained reading of it a chore. This liability alone outweighs the sum of NWT's modest assets."

Author-apologist Robert M. Bowman, Jr. writes: "The whole work, but especially the New Testament portion...is carefully designed to import Witness beliefs into the text and screen out, as much as a seemingly literal translation can, the traditional Christian beliefs rejected by the Jehovah's Witnesses...The NWT is filled with faulty translations designed to make the Bible fit Jehovah's Witness doctrine.

...The case against the NWT must rest on the evidence from within the NWT itself; and this, as we have seen, is sufficient to warrant the conclusion that the NWT is an unreliable translation of the Bible."

Dr. Jack P. Lewis concludes: "This study is by no means a comprehensive review of all the merits or faults of the NWT. These examples are adequate, however, to show that it is unsuited for the use of people who want to know what the Bible really teaches."

Richie :*)

• Celtic
    Celtic

NWT 1,666 pages, prove me wrong.

• doogie
    doogie

thanks richie. that's some good stuff. since i'm not exactly fluent in greek, this helps a lot.

• Richie
  • Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Doogie, first clue that they're ALL wrong is the fact that the original Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic written languages included absolutely NO little ol' words like "the" and "a".....whereas every translation you pick up, (including the NWT) has "the" and "a" peppered throughout the texts. Their excuse is "to make it more easily understood by those speaking our language".....but the end result is often that the addition of these articles often completely CHANGES the understanding of the original text.

Frannie B

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Richie - Thanks for the link to that AWESOME post!!! I just wish I could get my printer to work!

BTY - what is the answer to the question regarding who translated the NWT and why they keep it a secret?

• doogie
    doogie
    BTY - what is the answer to the question regarding who translated the NWT and why they keep it a secret?

it was translated primarily by fred franz (or so says CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE). Ray Franz said that it was probably almost only Fred because at the time of the translation, he was the only one fluent enough in the biblical languages to complete such a task.

makes you think...THE bible for JW's was pretty much written by one man. or should i say, 'a committee of one man'.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Richie

Looks awfully long winded that link and probaly nothing I ain't worked out already, cheers anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit