Circumstantial proof that Rutherford was The Evil Slave

by Deleted 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

R.R. wrote: "Rutherford was dismissed by Russell in 1915...This is documented in the literature that was distributed between 1917-1919."

I have looked thoroughly through the pages of the Watch Tower for the years 1915 and 1916 and there is no hint of this ever happening. As a matter of fact, the May 1915 issue contains "Judge Rutherford's Spicy Defense: 'A Great Battle in the Ecclesiatical Heavens.' " Also, contains "The Rutherford-Troy Debate." While Russell acknowledges two of his own debates, as well as Rutherford's, he states that he doesn't care for the idea of religious debates. The July 15, 1915 Watch Tower reports on the Springfield, Massachussetts Convention. One of the speakers, with C.T. Russell was none other than J.F. Rutherford. Rutherford is still in good standing according to the Oct. 15, 1916 issue which reports on the Los Angeles I.B.S.A. convention from Sept. 2-Sept. 10. Rutherford was the chairman of the Convention. Moreover, ..."an interesting event outside of the Convention Program was an address by Brother Russell in the Park Avenue Christian Church, Los Angeles..."

Russell died Oct. 31, 1916. The Dec. 1 number is a memorial edition wherein is his Will and Testament. The Committee of Five is listed as F.H. Robison, William E. Page, Willaim E. Van Amburgh, Henry Clay Rockwell and E.W. Brenneisen.

Those listed to fill the vacancies of those who died or resigned in this committee are: A.E. Burgess, Robert Hirsh, Isaac Hoskins, Geo. H. Fisher (Scranton), J.F. Rutherford, and Dr. John Edgar.

Now if you will scroll down to page 379 you will find two letters of resignation: one from W.E. Page and the other from W.W. Brenneisen. Guess who were elected to replace them? Yes, J.F. Rutherford and R.H. Hirsh.

Also, on page 373 is the Oration at the Evening Service delivered by Rutherford in tribute to Russell.

Now, how Rutherford got to be President of the W.T. Society is another issue. But I find no justification for one to say that he was dismissed by Russell in either 1915 or 1916.

• RR
    RR

Ken, since Rutherford was never an officer of the Society during the time of Russell, why would he advertise in the journals that he sent Rutherford packing? I

RR

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

After doing some more research, I am puzzled. Russell's will is dated June 29, 1907. After re-reading the will I find that there are 6 names on the list of vacancy replacements rather than five as prescribed in the will. Either "five" should have read "six" or there is an added name. The list includes A.E. Burgess, Robert Hirsh, Isaac Hoskins, Geo. H. Fisher (Scranton), J.F. Rutherford, Dr. John Edgar. Now Dr. John Edgar of Glasgow, Scotland died on June 9, 1910. The following appears in the June 15, 1910 Watch Tower, page 207:

"Doctor Edgar Passed Beyond"

"By cable we learn that Dr. John Edgar underwent a surgical operation which has resulted in his death.. We trust for him that he has passed beyond the Second Vail and is now with the Master in glory. He was a dear, humble, faithful brother, whom we greatly loved...."

Would not Charles T. Russell have added a replacement of Edgar? Meticulous as he was, it would seem that he would, but did he and when? Was Rutherford's name on the original will (he had been associated with the Bible Students since 1894) or was it added after Dr. John Edgard's death?

My questions are, if the will was appended to add J.F. Rutherford's name, shouldn't there have been some type of notation on it? Or did Rutherford add his own name as some maintain? Why does his name appear before John Edgard's name, rather than after. Or why isn't John Edgard's name crossed out? Did someone tamper with Russell's will? Or was there an error in the will that said "five" rather than "six?" If Rutherford had been dismissed from Bethel in 1915, why was he still custodian of the will at Russell's death in 1916, as some maintain? I just can't seem to piece all the parts together.

• RR
    RR
    My questions are, if the will was appended to add J.F. Rutherford's name, shouldn't there have been some type of notation on it? Or did Rutherford add his own name as some maintain? Why does his name appear before John Edgard's name, rather than after. Or why isn't John Edgard's name crossed out? Did someone tamper with Russell's will? Or was there an error in the will that said "five" rather than "six?" If Rutherford had been dismissed from Bethel in 1915, why was he still custodian of the will at Russell's death in 1916, as some maintain? I just can't seem to piece all the parts together.

Bingo!!!! It appears before JOhn Edgar, since we don't have an actual copy of the will it is dificult to say. Were the names listed on one line as they appear in the Watchtower, or did they appear one under the other as the names of the Directors are? If the latter is correct, then Rutherford could have sandwiched his name between names 4 and 5.

As I said, reading the various papers published in 1917/1918 shows that Rutherford was a con man.

I have actually shared my finding with JW's, some elders , others bethelites, who were able to do come research and confirm that what the Judge did was illegal. So what is their reply? "We know who Jehovah was backing, look at the Watchtower today, and look at the Bible Students, who has the better blessing?" Others have told me that the Judge used "Theocratic warfare" to accomplish Jehovah's will. In the end, it doesn't really matter what the Bible Students say. The Jw's have both sides of the story sealed.

RR

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Thank you R.R. I would like to get the source that states that Russell sent Rutherford packing. I am unable to locate it. Thanks.

Also, the Dec. 15, 1916 W.T., pages 389-391 contains an article entitled "Organization of the Work." The following is certainly interesting: "Two days after his {Russell's} death the Board {of Directors} met and elected Brother A.N. Pierson as a member of the Board to fill the vacancy caused by Brother Russell's change. The seven members of the Board as now constituted are A.I. Ritchie, W.E. Van Amburgh, H.C. Rockwell, J.D. Wright, I.F. Hoskins, A.N. Pierson and J.F. Rutherford.

"The Board of Directors thereupon provided for an Executive Committee of three, and elected as that Committee Brothers A.I. Ritchie, W.E. Van Amburgh and J.F. Rutherford. This Executive Committee has a general supervision of all the work of the Society, both in America and abroad, subject to the control of the Board of Directors of the Society."

If Rutherford was a no-body in the Society, how did he get unto the Board of Directors so quickly? Excluding A.N. Pierson (and if you will Rutherford), how did the other people get on the original Board? Where can one find info on that? Is there something other than in this W.T. article?

• RR
    RR
    If Rutherford was a no-body in the Society, how did he get unto the Board of Directors so quickly? Excluding A.N. Pierson (and if you will Rutherford), how did the other people get on the original Board? Where can one find info on that? Is there something other than in this W.T. article?

He got on the board the same way many do in this world,. It's who you know! Rutherford was an opportunist. And he made a name fo himself travelling and debating. he also had friends in high [places, namely VanAmburgh and MacMillan. These two no doubt pulled some strings to get Rutherford on board. After all, they could agree, he was a Lawyer, he knew business. he is well liked and respected and knows the truth. He wold be an aset to the organization.

So he got on this little committee that was simply going to get thing organizaed for the elections in January 1917.

The president was just a figure, the power was not in the hands of the board of directors, so it didn't matter what the president did or said. If the directors did not approve it, it would not be done.

You know the rest of the story. When it came time for the election of the officers, Rutherford was elected as president, only he added a little by-law which gave all power to the president. Now the Society and all its assests were in his hands and the directors were powerless. Before the directors could have these by-laws rescinded, the Judge ties things up and dismissed any and all who would challenge him. By then the majority of the Bible Students basically told the judge, you can have it, we don't need it, and moved on.

RR

• Farkel
    Farkel

RR,

: and the Judge went to Los Angelos where he set up a practice.

Where is that?

Farkel

• RR
    RR

When Russell died, Rutherord was an elder in the Los Angelos Ecclesia of Bible Students. He had a regular job as an attorney for a department store.

RR

• VM44
    VM44

Hi RR

When Russell died, Rutherord was an elder in the Los Angelos Ecclesia of Bible Students. He had a regular job as an attorney for a department store.

Wow! Fantastic. Can we get any documentation on this?

--VM44

• onacruse
    onacruse

VM44, an excellent resource is www.freeminds.org, where you can purchase (as I did) Research Applications Institute .pdf files of the majority of the information you seek.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit