Anyone ever had "rolfing therapy"?

by scootergirl 13 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

Thanks sg. I hope the rolfing works to alleviate your pain.

I keep pretty active but I'm limited in what I can do. The weird thing is that it bothers me most when I'm trying to get comfortable after working all day rather than while I'm working. Is that true for you too?

I don't like that I can't be as playful with my daughter as I'd like to be. I'm afraid to go on some rides at an amusement park (or pier as the case may be) and I'm not as "rough and tumbly" as my nature tends to be or as I was when her brothers were little kids.

Oh well, I'm old and broken and she best grow up to be a doctor...

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Thanks Odrade. I think that I am going to address my concerns about pain w/not only the doc but also the therapist. My family phsycian has been my doctor for the past 12 yrs. I have come to respect and admire him. He has been w/me thru so many ups and downs throughout my life and the fact that he talked to me about researching and learning more about the procedure before making a decision really had me concerned.

SW, omg, YES, I can relate! It is like waking up an 80 yr old woman, doing my excercises and starting my day (cause the day MUST go on for us moms) to wind down at night stiff and sore. I hear you too about activities w/your daughter. I have a four year old plus I also run a home daycare and there are times at the end of the day where I wish I could just collapse and be left alone till the next day. Simple little things like carrying two gallon jugs of milk from the car into the house can throw me into a tizzy or simply watching a movie and reminding myself that I can't stay in one position too long or else I am gonna pay for it later. Simple things that I use to take for granted like vacuuming or shampooing a carpet can cause so much pain that it leaves me in tears. Does the weather bother you too? This past MN winter was particularly hard on me. And I swear when it is gonna rain I can feel it before the meteorologist even predicts it!

I was on meds but decided that I didn't want to be medicated any longer. I don't want to jeaopardize my liver or kidneys to make myself feel better now. I really really am interested in finding a cure or at least help for what ails me now. I am all for a holisic treatment.

Thank you all of you who have taken the time to respond. I was just feeling nervous and scared about something I am not familiar with.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

scootergirl ~ my sister has been helped tremendously over the years with rolfing sessions ~

I hope you too will find relief

• Satanus
    Satanus

I went throught the full program about 15 yrs ago, 10 sessions i guess, like mark said. It's really just a deep massage type of thing. The ten sessions cover the whole body.

I felt ripped off, because at the beginning, i told him i had 2 specific problems to work on/fix. He couldn't fix them. All the other sessions were useless, really. Later on, when i started doing stretches before gym work outs, i found that they were as effective as the rolfing. During the last few yrs, i have found out a couple of exercises to control the problems the rolfer couldn't fix.

My recommendations would be to save your money and not go the full program. Do only the stuff for your neck/upper back. Make that very clear to the rolfer at the outset. Also, to reduce the pain, you might take a hot shower before you go for your treatment. The resulting relaxation will help. Maybe a shot ot two of booze, as well. Btw, my treatments weren't painful, to speak of.

Whether you decide to go for that or not, learn tai chi, as was recommended. If nothing else, study and learn some stretching exercises. They are really the minimum you can do.

Chiropractors may be dangerous for you. Shiatsu might be good. It helped my dad a lot, and it's gentle. Yoga? Naah.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit