How do the JW's get around this scripture??

by Crazyguy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Hebrews 9:27New International Version (NIV)

27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

• blondie
    blondie
    So what point do you want to get around?
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Well sorry I guess I should of elaborated. This scripture seems to indicate that all will die once then a judgment but as we now the JW paint a picture that ones will not die and walk into the new system.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That's my favorite scripture. WE...ARE..GOING..TO..DIE.  I don't know what happens after that, but we will get old and we will die. Every generation before us has died. No one has cheated death. 

DD

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

They will just explain it by saying that scripture is for the anointed only and either naturally or taken the anointed have to lose their physical bodies and be born again...thus die.

Very easy to get round that if you have the "still-in" mind... 

• blondie
    blondie
    The WTS teaches that even though some jws will not die and go into the new system, all people there will live through a judgment period of 1,000 years, including the resurrected.
  • Island Man
    Island Man

I think this is an example of why it is not wise to read individual scriptures divorced from their context. You cannot really read much into that verse by itself without considering its context. The verse doesn't mean what you think it means.

The scripture is not making the point that absolutely everyone will have to die once. The scripture is talking about what normally happens in our fallen world - people die once and face a judgement in their future resurrection. The writer was not suggesting that there wouldn't be people who will survive Armageddon and go on to live forever - which is an exceptional situation outside the point that the writer was trying to make.

You have to read the verse in its context and ask yourself how it fits with what was said before and after. When you separate a text from its context you get a con. 

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I know this, it's one scripture that is NEVER mentioned anymore. It's not good for business.

DD

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I agree with island mans thoughts. 

If if you look this up with the NASB bible it becomes much more clear what is happening. In the context leading up to this verse he's talking about the procedure prior to Christ put in place by the Mosaic Law. The Israelites never achieved real forgiveness because they had to continuously make offerings. Then he COMPARES the way men die once for all time to the way Christ died once for all men, showing that this was a perfect atonement and demonstrating that Christ doesn't have to die over and over again. 

But this doesn't mean there won't be some who survive the end and never have to die. Pull up an NASB and read the whole chapter a couple times and this will appear much more clear. 

if you doubt this is the case though, I'd take the thought you're getting from this and compare it to the expressions found elsewhere in the scriptures. check how it harmonizes with the entire bible as the context. Paul expresses this same sentiment elsewhere, which is why I feel comfortable asserting the meaning. But I'll definitely be looking into this myself and if I find anything suggesting I'm wrong I'll be sure to post it.

• prologos
    prologos
    It would have been easy to prove for the Almighty,  that the Messiah was really a fitting sacrifice to have him live past 1000 years, staying young (forever young) and then have him die a sacrificial death. But the way it is, he was just another young man dying young, as they often  do. He too was destined to die once, then a judgement, but IF he was special, why not prove it? the way it is it is just another story.  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit