The Army vs Coca-Cola!

by Crazy151drinker 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazy151drinker
  • Gopher
    Gopher

But Bruce Don, a senior analyst at the Rand Corp. said the military's concern is rational and appropriate.

"There's a lot of reason to worry about how that technology could be taken advantage of by a third party without Coke's knowledge," he said.

"I wouldn't worry if one was in my refrigerator, but if you had a sensitive discussion or location, it's not inconceivable the thing could be used for something it was not designed for," he said.

The controversy was over whether a specially-rigged Coca-Cola can (designed to call up Coke headquarters if the can is a winner) could be used against the US military.

The US military is damned if they do, damned if they don't. If there is some danger and they didn't move to counteract it, then people would be accusing them of being "asleep at the switch". These days no security risk should be totally dismissed, IMO.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Wouldnt it be obvious if they brought that soda can in that it wasnt a normal coke can?? Its not like it looks like a regular can. You cant drink it. It seems silly.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Wouldnt it be obvious if they brought that soda can in that it wasnt a normal coke can?? Its not like it looks like a regular can. You cant drink it. It seems silly.

Part of my job is to make sure people don't take unauthorised items into secure areas, you would be amazed at the things some people try to bring in. This order was probably issued because someone tried to bring one in, then argued the toss about not being allowed in because 'its only a coke can'. I see this sort of thing day in day out at work.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Stupid ass Army..........

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/07/02/coke.militaryalert.ap/index.html

Call names all you like, there are MANY buildings which will not allow cell phones in them. The can can be activated to act as a cell phone. This caution was put out by Army bases when the game first started a few weeks ago, "Just assure you do not bring the Coke cans which you can play the game with into those buildings. You know it's only your security they are assuring. Why the media has made a big deal out of it I do not know but it Does not surprise me. Cassi

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

How lame. I could see them having a problem with Pepsi... but Coca Cola? That's the nectar of the gods for crying out loud!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit