Counting Time..what your opinion?

by CaptK 11 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptK
    CaptK

When I was a Dub I use to get so mad trying to get in the national average of 10 hours a month. I would work during the week then get 2 - 2.5 hours on Sat for maybe 8 - 10 hours a month. Others like the Elders would always be above that average and a lot of the time some of these Elders would skip out on vacation or who knows what on half of the Saturdays. The assistants would conduct. Then I started putting 2+2 together and figured out what the real story was. IF Mr___Elder conducts his bookstudy then he will get between 4-5 hours a month. IF he studies with his kids another 4-5 hours a month. If he has parts on the meeting or gives a public talk another 1-2 hours a month. So the way I look at it this guy ____Elder can get most of his time of the national average in without even stepping outside his front door. Is my calculations right?

4-5 BK + 4-5 FS + 1-2 MP = 9-12 hours a month without knocking on a single door.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Your thread brought to mind another point.. Counting field service time is one thing, but the Witnesses also count time as far as when Armageddon is coming. Hmm, what is it they say about watching the clock? Do we see a pattern here?

• micheal
    micheal

no one is allowed to count time for taking a book study, he can only count 4 hrs a month for a family study and can only count 45 mins for a public talk, no other meeting parts.

• blondie
    blondie

Innovative ways to count time:

1. Write a not at home letter (1 hour); copy it 30 times, 30 hours

2. Spend the morning walking along the beach talking to your 3 year old grand son about "Jehovah"; 3 hours

3. Call an out of town return visit at home at 8:30 as you leave for the meeting for field service, call them again just before you leave; leave a tract for the waitress on break; call out of town return visit when you get home; 4 hours

4. Make an RV on the west side of town; then the east side of town; then the west side of town; then the east side of town; 8 hours

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

I just totally realised something.. I have never seen my dad go out in field service. What crap.

• dh
    dh

i think it's ridiculous

alt

AH AH AH!!!

• cuddlepie
    cuddlepie

I remember when i was little my mum would stop by the graveyard near our house before "group" and put a tract ona grave to start time. THen do it again on the way home.

They bitch about the way mormons count time, but for them its ok.

My dad is an elder and way back then i remember him discussing wth my mum who was "slacking" in the fieldservice.

SIGH

• proplog2
    proplog2

Some of my thougths about counting time.

Since when is money more sacred and personal than time? JW's boast that they don't keep a record of how much money individuals contribute. But, then they have this rigid system of rewards built around how much time a person says they spend in field service. I think this is inconsistent. The excuse they give is always that they want to track the world-wide work. But this could be done with annonymous reporting.

The other thing I hate about reporting time is that it is almost always used as a club to beat up on people. You don't automatically become an Elder or Ministerial servant because you put in 20 hours of field service. But you definitely are disqualified if you put in less than 10. Anything below 5 hours tends to be referred to as "token" field service. This is a way of judging that is very upsetting. They seldom really look at a person as an individual - after all they are faceless "publishers".

The nice part about this , is like all bureaucratic systems, you may not get bit in the groin but you get bit in the behind. Here is how this works. The presumption is that the less time you put in the less "mature" you are. The other side of this coin of presumption is that the MORE time you put in the MORE mature you are. The consequence is that they ignore these MORE mature people thinking they have no personal problems. The truth is that probably most of the apostates come from the ranks of the so-called "mature" ones.

When you see someone sacrifice family for field service you know that is a ticking time-bomb. How many times have you seen people on assembly programs talk about their personal sacrifices to pioneer only to hear later that they left the organization or had to be disfellowshipped for some indiscretion with one of their "pioneer" lovers. Of course I don't have figures for this because no one is reporting the number of pioneers that have been casualties of this fanatacism.

Another problem with setting goals like 10 hours per month is again the flip side of the bureacratic coin. Many who might be quite comfortable with 5 hours per month push themselves to get 10 hours per month. But many who have the capability of putting in 30 hours per month will stop at 15 hours because after all they have exceeded the quota by 50%.

This bureaucratic nonsense will not end. Bureaucrats are afraid that no-one would go out at all if they didn't make field service the coin of the realm.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Actually in answer to Michael's comment....servants or elders who conduct the congregation bookstudy or watchtower study can count that time. It's all BS of course, because timecounting was NOT done in the first century. It is a bureaucratic policy to help monitor/police the rank and file.

• blondie
    blondie

Just wondering, they can count the time only if one of the audience/group is unbaptized, right?

Jesus, filling out his time slip,

Sermon on the Mount 7 hours

Talking to the apostles 15 hours

Performed healing 15 minutes

Talk afterwards 3 hours

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit