Do you make active witnesses uncomfortable?

by pratt1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

This weekend my wife and I visited with another couple, who although they are inactive, they also invited active witinesses to the their home along with us. We knew most of the people there and they are aware that we are inactive - no big deal. However there was one brother who did not know that were are inactive. When asked what congo I attended I informed him that I don't and have no interest in attending. He quickly got away from me and avoided contact with me and my wife for the rest of the evening. Actually, it was kind of funny that we could have such an effect on another human being.

I was wondering, has anyone else experienced strange or funny reactions when an active witness realizes that you no longer consider yourself yo be a JW?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Sometimes I go to Tim Hortons for a coffee and donut on Saturdays at 11 AM. Deliberately. It's fun to see how fast the JWs make their exit.

I love spoiling their breaks.

Walter

• franklin J
    franklin J

yes, they avoid me like the plague; they then relate directly to my wife , who never has been and never will be a JW.

I suppose they will take their chances with a "wordly person" rather than with an apostate!

• proplog2
    proplog2

I like to ask active witnesses what they are doing instead of pioneering?

• Soledad
    Soledad
    oh yes I sure do, especially the ones who have known me for many many years. Nervous giggles, trembling legs, quivering voices. The only time I have ever spoken out against the org was in my DA letter, but somehow I am viewed as an outspoken apostate. not that it bothers me, but I'm curious as to how the contents of my letter became public record.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

Interesting post, Thanks!

Back in the mid 1990's I happened to notice I had not heard from my dad for over a year and I called him and asked him if he had not contacted me because I no longer associate with the followers of the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation and he said, "I guess so."

He had traveled over 1,100 miles to West Virginia to visit his Witness son during that year, so he was able to travel. When I called him, his phone was still hooked up, so he could have called me if he wanted to.

After that I transferred the burden of initiation of contact to the JWs and I have not heard from them. I have no plans to hold my breath waiting for them to call me:-)

I have never heard of one family the Witnesses group has touched that has not been fractured and divided. That's their plan and purpose. They are very good at it.

Their strategy of identifying and isolating dissenters is a requirement to their survival. Dissenters nowadays tend to be informed. :-)

• pratt1
    pratt1

Another funny reaction happens almost everyday at my job. There is an active witness (sister) who works at my job. As fate would have it her boss reports to me and constantly complains about her unproductive work habits. Without her knowledge I have supported her in several disputes and I have not allowed her to be terminated when we techincally had the grounds. In my opinion the accusation was unsupported by an objective eye, so I decide to give her the benefit of the doubt and not end her employment. The interesting thing is that this "sister" not only ignores me when she sees me, she will abruptly stop any conversation she is engaged in when I enter the area, sometimes refusing to get on the same elevator with me.

A fine example of brotherly love.

• avishai
    avishai
    she will abruptly stop any conversation she is engaged in when I enter the area, sometimes refusing to get on the same elevator with me.

That, too is unprofessional. Let 'em fire her!!!

• undercover
    undercover

Some, yes. Some, no. Still others are curious and are just chomping at the bit to either try and "help" or at least get the scoop on what our "problem" is.

The last time I went to the KH, there were some who all but tripped over themselve to come up and say "Hi". The love-bombing in action. Others looked sideways at me, afraid to make eye contact, fearing that they may have to acknowledge my presence. Some elders were quick to speak and chit-chat, others kept a watchful eye, not trusting me.

Out in public, most active JWs will speak and we'll even have a small "whatchabeenupto" conversation. Occasionally, an overly righteous dub will see me and run for cover so as to not have "bad association".

Rarer still is to get invited to anything JW. There is where the truth lies. Some individual JWs may associate with us as far as going to the movies or dinner (usually ones who aren't that zealous themselves), but never, ever do we get invited to picnics, parties, weddings, etc that are attended mostly by JWs. Even though we are not DFd or DAd, because we are inactive and not attending meetings, it is like we have fallen off the face of the earth when it comes to "fellowship". Only when we show up at the hall(an even rarer occurence) are we treated with any kind of friendliness. It's all conditional. Go to meetings and go in service, you're a friend and buddy. Become inactive but not in any kind of trouble, you're bad association.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well my nickname is Bear !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit