Pit Bull dogs

by Schizm 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

I want to start a discussion about Pit Bull dogs. I live next door to a new neighbor who owns an American Pit Bull dog (also a female of the same breed that's just given birth to three pups). When I'm in the owner's presence the dog allows me to pet him, but when the owner isn't present the dog acts extremely fierce to the point that I'm scared of him. Below is an article that I found. What do you think/know about this type of dog?--Schizm.

Posted At 04:43:40 08/06/2003
    Officers kill pit bull after attack By MICHAEL DeMASI Gazette Reporter

SCHENECTADY — City police shot and killed a pit bull terrier in the stairwell of a rented two-family house on O’Dell Street Tuesday after the dog attacked the landlord and lunged at a police officer. The landlord, Motilal Ramroop, 57, said he went to 21 O’Dell St. in the Central State Street neighborhood to evict a homeless man he said was living in the second-floor apartment.

Ramroop called the police at 11:25 a.m. before driving to O’Dell Street from his home in Rotterdam. As he, the police and the homeless man talked in the muggy air outside, Ramroop said the dog rushed out the door and lunged at his neck. Ramroop said he held up his arms to fend off the dog and was bitten on the right wrist. He was able to shake the dog loose, and the dog lunged at Officer Peter Forth. Forth fired once, hitting the dog. The animal retreated up to the second-floor apartment, according to Lt. Peter L. Frisoni Jr.

“My hand is burning up inside, man,” Ramroop, his wrist bandaged by paramedics, said before going to St. Clare’s Hospital. “It’s getting stiff.” Police were told a second person might be upstairs with the pit bull. They rammed through the front door and, as they were climbing the stairs, saw the dog charging aggressively at them. Officer Robert Dashnow fired three times, killing the dog. The dog is being tested for rabies.

Ramroop was in satisfactory condition at St. Clare’s Hospital and expected to be released. Police identified the homeless man as Carlin Harris, 18, who was charged with second-degree criminal trespass and unlawful behavior of a dog. He also has an outstanding bench warrant for failing to appear in City Court on a previous charge of second-degree menacing. He was sent to the Schenectady County Jail Tuesday. Seven puppies, each less than a week old, were removed from the apartment by police and taken to Emerald Acres Pet Motel. They were accepted by Animal Outreach and Rescue in Amsterdam, which matched them up with a stray bulldog who recently lost most of her own litter.
    Reach Gazette reporter Michael DeMasi at 395-3118 or [email protected]. http://www.schenectadyny.info/forums/SchenectadyNY.info/arch200308/2881.html
  • Valis
    Valis

I don't like the pit bull breed, nor do I particularly care for the people who choose to own them. They can be very dangerous and have a good long history of being used to not only kill other dogs, but to attack people. Now, I know any dog can be bred for such things, but I think this one breed or mix of breeds wouldn't be terribly missed. I would think it would be quite scary to live next to those dogs...what if they got out and the owner wasn't around? Or your kids were playing and one of them decided to go off the hook as it were? I am not an advocate of dogs in general after my own animal nearly bit the nose off of my child, but in these animals I see so much more potential for harming people. They aren't worth breeding or keeping. Maybe when I'm old though I wouldn't mind one of these..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• boa
    boa

Oh boy, I feel a rare post by Bulldog coming on....yikes!

boa....runnin for cover now whilst he still can

• Valis
    Valis

pit boas need to go too!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• avishai
    avishai

American pit/Staffordshire Terriers have been bred to be canine aggressive, not human aggressive. There are TONS of atttacks every year by other breeds. You never hear about it because it does'nt make "good copy". German shepherds attack more people than bully breeds. The hysteria really sucks. When raised and bred well, bully breeds are one of the SAFEST dogs around. They were bred, unlike many other dogs NOT to attack humans.

Other dogs, though, are not good around bully breeds.

There are lots of other dogs that are also canine aggressive, however, such as chow's, akitas etc.

• avishai
    avishai
    nor do I particularly care for the people who choose to own them

?????????

Like a gun, Dogs period can be dangerous. Yes, latetly there is a certain bonehead element that owns staffy's. But. There is responsible and irresponsible dog owning.

What about Rottwielers? German Shepherds? Dobermans? All good dogs.

And can be bad, as well.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why do you need pit bulls, when you got guns? Guns don't need to be fed, taken for walks every few hours, etc.

S

• Valis
    Valis

avi you are correct and I would say that they shouldn't be bred for fighting other dogs...those animals should go away. My dog was an akita/german sheppard...he snapped while he was eating...my child grabbed his coat...just an off reaction, but enough to rip the nose open (two plastic surgeries) and puncture under her chin...he got whisked off to a ranch before I could get ahold of him..

avi, I was posting while you were reposting.. I should have said in my experience, the people I have know who have had those dogs we not my kind of people.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• shera
    shera

I would never own one,I know a few people who own them and I have seen the aggressiveness in them.

I will own one of these someday,when my kids are older...

http://landofpuregold.com/

They are the sweetest dogs ever!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Not all Pit Bulls are bad. Just very territorial and loyal to their owners. Not all of them will fight if trained to do so. Jr, the dog in the photo was trained to fight, but given away when he would not do so.(you can still see the scares on him from the fight he lost) I ended up with him because the person who had him before me lived in a trailer park and was told to get rid of him because people were afraid of him. Sadly, I don't have him anymore either because I couldn't house break him and I don't have anyplace to keep him outdoors. He was too strong for any chain I kept him on and kept getting lose. I was afraid of a law suit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit