The Creation Story of Genesis 1 in its literary context

by Leolaia 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos....What do you think of Friedman's early dating of P as pre-exilic? The idea of Deutero-Isaiah writing in response to P actually goes back to M. Weinfeld, and Day is careful to state that it might not have been necessarily P in its present form that Deutero-Isaiah was responding to but a creation tradition that P has set in its final literary form.

• Carmel
    Carmel

For what its worth. The oldest confirmed use of compost was in Akka. That must mean that all good things come from Akka right?

Confirms my suspicion that old dirt makes good exegitics.

carmelite

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

EJ alone mentions Eden (Sumerian for steppe or plain) that was well watered, paralleling the Sumerian Dilmun paradise that bloomed when watered from the earth and wherein no lions ate no meat and wolves did not eat lambs and dogs did not eat kids. And in this legend it is the eating of fruit/plants that caused the trouble. Also the Sumerian word for rib is also the word for life, in the Sumerian creation legend the goddess uses her rib to heal. The elements are all Sumerian tho quite modified.

P introduced the Babylonian 7 day Sabboth structure. J in chapt 4 names the woman Eve(Babylonian for snake or life).

The androgynous creation of male and female into one body by R in chapt 5 seems to mirror the Persian tale in the Zend Avesta.

I'm not making any assertions just some quick obsevations.

• ikthuce4u
    ikthuce4u

Greetings folk,

Just posting to get this thread in my profile.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

My apologies Leolaia if that last post seemed contrary, I meant it simply as an expression of confusion on my part.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I thought you were just mentioning random things about the two creation accounts that didn't have much to do with my original posting. What are you confused about?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Oh I was just rambling about the bits and pieces that spin in my helter skelter mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit