Any one out there been diagnosed with bipolar?

by Lehaa 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

I've just started being treated for bipolar disorder, used to be called manic depression.

Medication i'm now (lexapro) on seems to be working really well.

I do worry about how my being bipolar will effect my kids. I was diagnosed, disfellowshipped and became a single mum all in the same week.

Any one else have the same problems and how do they handle them.

• Sassy
    Sassy

wow you have a lot on your plate all at once. My step father is bi polar. For the most part it is under control with meds.. I am sure there are others on the board who can give you first hand information..

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi there! I was diagnosed in 1992, and was prescribed Lithium. The thought of injections, and side effects made me choose not to take it. I ended up hospitalized because my moods were so severe, and it even cost me friendships, and potential relationships. I should have taken the meds. but my stubborn streak told me things would get better without taking them. BIG MISTAKE! I am glad that you are taking your meds. Please keep doing so, it will save you! I am now taking Paxil, and recently my Dr. up here recommended once again that I start on lithium, as the reg. anti-depressants I am taking do not work to their potential on me.

In regards to your kids, I think it will be easier for them to deal with things, as long as you stay on your meds. as prescribed. It would be a lot harder for them to deal with the situation if you were not taking them. Sounds like you have had it rough lately, with all that is going on in your life. I am sorry to hear that. Once you are regulated, things should start looking up for you, instead of the ups and downs that you are used to.

I wish you the best,

CJ

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Will definately take my meds, for me and my kids. have resigned myself to the fact that i will be on them for the rest of my life.

I'm also seeing a psychologost and check in with my psychiatrist every few months as well. I've got a lot to work through.

• blondie
    blondie

Many people find out that they have an illness that requires medication for the rest of their lives, diabetics (pancreas) and those with heart (heart) problems for one and two. They too have side effects they have to deal with.

The problem with being bipolar is that it is a mental illness which few people understand affects an organ, the brain, it is a physical illness not a result of a character defect.

The site below is a good resource for information and support.

http://forums.about.com/ab-bipolar/start

• pudd
    pudd

Hi ((( Lehaa,)))

I am a mother of 3 young children and I left the witnesses about a year ago. I have had bi polar for about 17 years and unfortunately you too will likely be in for the long haul.

I have found that as much as possible I need to be honest with the kids, if they can understand, even in a limited way that you are behaving in a certain way because you are not well they will deal with it better.

The illness manifests itself diferently in each individual so you will need to find your own personal way of handling it, but try to make sure you get some support. if you want to chat more feel free to p.m. me.

good luck!

• pudd
    pudd

Blondie,

Thank you for the link, just checked it out and added it to my favourites!

also thanks to (((reboot))) for pointing me to this thead!

Pudd xxx

• jgnat
    jgnat

My mom was diagnosed bipolar when I was twelve. I can speak from the childs' perspective. Don't do what my dad did. He sat us down and explained that bipolar can be hereditary, so we should keep an eye out as we got older. This is after we watched our mom go totally wingy-wild, then hospitalized, and given shock treatments, then drugged in to a manageable stupor, then diagnosed.

I have spent most of my adult life cultivating my mental health, wondering if my excited highs are TOO high, and if my depressive lows are TOO low. I have about decided if I don't have it by now (been through enough shocks to trigger the $%^@ disease), I probably won't get it.

Thanks, dad.

The absolutely best gift you can give your children is stay on your medication and cultivate stability. Blondie is right-on in describing this as any other chronic illness. I take medication for blood pressure, and I will likely be on it for the rest of my life. It is not so bad taking a daily pill as I thought. The biggest pain is there are few other medications I can take because of possible drug interactions. Luckily, bipolar disorder is the easest to treat with the fewest drug side effects. The tricky thing about mental illness, though, since the brain is affected, is that your ability to self-diagnose is whacked.

I resolved a long time ago that I would have trusted friends around me whom I would rely on to let me know if I am going off the deep end. You could do the same thing for your children. Make a personal pact to GO TO THE DOCTOR every time they ask you to.

On a positive note, my mom is healthier today than she has ever been, and my relationship with her than it was for years. There are a whole range of drugs available these days.

Oh, yeah, switching from one drug to another can be a bear, and can set you off on another episode. When switching medications, alert family and friends to watch over you and let you know if things are not right.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Thanks to all, felling better. Will definately talk to the kids about it when I think they can handle it, already been through a lot this month.

Thanks for the link blondie and will definately gove it a look.

Do have close friends that keep an eye on me and make sure my meds are working. I'm really careful when i change meds and only do it under strict watch of my doctors.

• pudd
    pudd

Jgnat,

I am really sorry to hear of your experience, but I think balance is necessary as with all things.

My illness is hereditary but my father was so embarrassed by the mental illness in his family that he denied its existence and even made fun off me when at the age of 16 I told my parents that I thought something was wrong. I had to go it alone and seek medical help and it took years to get a diagnosis as a result.

My daughter is only 7 but I see some worrying signs in her behavior (as do others close to her) she struggles to control the extremes in her emotions in away beyond what is normal for all children.

I believe that my own understanding and experience can be used as a help to her as she gets older if the problem develops. She herself knows something is ?different? about her and has already talked to me about that. I think if I was to dismiss her concerns it would be more of a hindrance than a protection. I encourage her to talk about her feelings and I take them seriously, I have simply told her that I understand because sometimes I have that problem too, which makes her feel safe enough to open up to me. I believe that not sweeping it under the carpet will help stop her from feeling alone and like a freak of nature as I did.

On the other hand, my sons show no sign of the illness so I feel no need to discuss it with them in the same manner. I do tell them when I am unwell, and to the extent that their age allows I will try to help them understand, but I do not and will not mention that it could affect them unless they ever show signs.

Pudd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit