Our Cockatiel needs help

by outoftheorg 24 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

WOW, I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WERE SO MANY EXPERT BIRDS-- BIRD EXPERTS ON THIS FORUM.!!

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE HELP AND INFORMATION.

THEY ARE BOTH SITTING ON THE EGGS AND THE LITTLE FELLOW. IT SEEMS TO BE GOING OK FOR NOW AT LEAST.

SINCE BOTH OF US WORK AND ARE BUSY, WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE IT UP TO NATURE AND THE TWO FEATHERED PARENTS TO DO MOST OF THE WORK.

THANKS AGAIN. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!

Outoftheorg ---tweet tweet sqawk.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

So...whatcha gonna do w/the babies? Keep them? Can you post a picture of them? There is so much information on the web about breeding and weaning babies. I have learned quite a bit from reading and talking w/those who have successfully bred in the past. Now I will finally get to try my hands at it this month! I am very anxious for the new tiel babies coming soon here. Last week I did have a sad mishap though. A 3-week old budgie chick died unexpectantly. Was a very sad day. :(

Yes, Shera, we are two bird nuts, aren't we? LOL...surpised our husbands haven't tossed us out for having so many feathered friends!

• Sammytee
    Sammytee

Hello, We too have cockatiels. We have had the male for about 10 months and the female about 3 months. Someday we hope to breed them, but not for another 14 months or so. (Female has to mature). We are currently breeding parakeets. Just raised 3 and now have 6 eggs in the nest due to start hatching within the next few days. With parakeets the male feeds the female and she feeds the chicks. We have not altered the adults diet much, as they eat mostly seed and pellets. However I understand with cockatiels they require a softer food diet. I found the below information on the net (http://www.cockatielcottage.net/breeding.html) and I hope it is of some help to you. Bro. Sam "Babies that just hatch are usually not fed by the parents until they are 8-12 hours old. The baby already has enough nutrition from absorbing the yolk sac prior to hatching. Dehydration is the most serious complication during this time. Some breeders will give the babies 1 drop of warm Pedialyte every hour to help prevent dehydration. Do not handfeed the baby with formula during this period because the crop is so tiny. It needs to be stretched out gradually. As the bird grows and starts to consume more food, the crop will stretch out gradually by itself. Both parents take turns feeding the babies. Provide the parents with a nutritious, soft food diet to feed the babies. They are not picky about foods while they are feeding the chicks. Some suggested foods include, lightly steamed corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, cooked sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, beans, oatmeal and most importantly, moistened breeder's pellets. This is different from the pellets your bird is now eating. Some breeder do add a very small amount of seeds. Serve these food whole to your birds or put it through a food processor or blender. You can make a large batch, freeze it in clean ice cube trays that are wrapped in cellophane and defrost as needed. Remove any uneaten food from the cage after 30 minutes to prevent bacterial growth. Do NOT give the parents eggs. Although eggs will not hurt the babies, the parents can get albumin poisoning from having eggs in their mouth all day long and for so many days."

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP. WITH IT I WAS ABLE TO COME UP WITH THE SOFT FOODS THAT ARE ADVISED.

WE PUT SOME OF IT IN THE CAGE AND THE TWO ADULTS ARE FEEDING THE BABY CHICK. SOME TIMES THEY ARE BOTH DOING IT AT ONCE, BUT THE CHICK SEEMS TO BE DOING OK.

WE ARRANGED A SMALL NESTING AREA AND AT TIMES BOTH ADULTS ARE IN IT, SETTING ON THE EGGS AND FEEDING THE LITTLE ONE.

BOY ARE THEY AGRESSIVE IF WE REACH INTO THE CAGE TO PUT FOOD IN. THEY WILL BOTH COME AT US.

THEY SEEM VERY KIND TO THE CHICK THOUGH.

IF ALL THE EGGS HATCH WE WILL HAVE 6 CHICKS. ANYONE WANT A BABY COCKATIEL??

Outoftheorg

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

If I only lived closer I'd gladly take another cockatiel.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will take a valuable addition to their day-to-day life.

Cockatiels are great!

Just as you mentioned about the 'aggressiveness' of your parent cockatiels, I knew right away, the chick, would be OK.

Their (cockatiels) instincts kicked-in.

The baby bird will be OK.

He/She (baby bird) will still need to be socialized. That's not a huge problem.

Good Luck, but I think 'nature' in this case has taken over. Baby bird will be fine.

The other eggs/potential birds, similarly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit