Happy Australia Day

by Bungi Bill 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Happy Australia Day to all here who reside in Australia:

- and for those who have actually got the day off, halve your luck!

(Yet again, I have drawn the short straw and am working today - oh, the joys of Remote Site FIFO work!) 

Bill.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Aussie Aussie Aussie!
  • millie210
    millie210
    Happy Australia Day to all my Aussie friends!
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Happy Australia Day. I'm sorry you have to work.

We happen to have no school because of teacher work days before report cards, so we'll celebrate along with you. Oh, and it's going to snow!

Try to do some relaxing after work. And enjoy the summer weather!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It's so nice to actually say "happy Australia Day" without feeling guilty!

cheers to all Aussies!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I'd be interested in hearing about this holiday.
  • Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell
    It's our national day, and is most commonly celebrated by having a bbq, going to the beach or similar outdoor activity. 
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I dont know about the rest of my Aussie mates on this board , I had a quiet day a couple of coldies down the club and I am looking forward to a roast that our son is cooking which the 4 of us will sit down and enjoy within the next hour or so.

Where I live we have a large indigenous community and I noticed they have their flags waving at their residences and on their cars as opposed to the Australian flag which is flown everywhere .

Which is fair enough from my point of view , they consider it an invasion of their country by the whites and it is not a day of celebration for them maybe one of mourning.

I guess that could be said of many indigenous cultures around the world who have been displaced by other peoples cultures .

Sadly I guess , is that many injustices were done in the initial process of this transformation taking place .

And a certain amount of resentment lingers on .

I am not aboriginal nor part thereof , however I would love that all who live in this country ,migrants , asylum seekers ,or whoever ,  appreciate the freedom we have and not abuse those freedoms to interfere with other peoples lives .

Australia day should be a day of rejoicing.for this country

smiddy

• Simon
    Simon

Wait a minute ... I can't remember the elections. Who decided Australia should have their own day? I demand a recount.

Seriously, all us ex-empire, commonwealth (non American) types need to stick together. Just keep up with the facade that they are in charge while we enjoy life, relax on the beach and enjoy the secret supply of real beer.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Yes Simon...but our beer is Cold...not Warm... (hehe! couldn't resist sorry!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit