I am finally ready to deal with my father...

by Aztec 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

He's pushed me to my last nerve!

I need any proof that I can verify that 1) the last days are not here! (scientific proof is good)

2) things are not worse than they were (thank you so much to all who helped on this) I appreciate what you've all said!

3) Doomsday schtuff! I need to prove to my father that he is part of a doomsday cult

4) Cult info. This is the most important stuff. I want to tell my father why his beliefs are no more interesting than any cult. He doesn't believe he is in a cult.

5) Flood info! Anything would be great!

I can and will use any info that I receive so thank you in advance! I know many of you have helped me in the past but I need you all more than ever. I have never had to deal with my father so voriciforously. I know I spelled that wrong! I have bound volumes of info to repay in kind to anyone....if you have the page and title number.

Much love to any and all of you!

~Aztec

• Aztec
    Aztec

I should probably state my goal: I do not wish to dissuade my father from being a witness. I only wish to stop him from being a 'witess' to me and my son. I hope that helps!

~Aztec

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I should probably state my goal: I do not wish to dissuade my father from being a witness. I only wish to stop him from being a 'witess' to me and my son.

You and me both Azzy, but we want the impossible. You cannot stop him without destroying his faith in his cult.

If I managed that, it would destroy my father. I don't want to do that.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    You cannot stop him without destroying his faith in his cult.

Don't say that BlackSheep! I just want to stop him from spreading the 'gospel' in my little, immediate family. That and dissuade him from pursuing my sisters and brother from ever joining up. I need testimonies and proof (scientific stuff). Links are good too btw.

~Aztec

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    ) Doomsday schtuff! I need to prove to my father that he is part of a doomsday cult

At the age of 67 I have been listening to their doomsday prediction for the over fifty years. Everytime something unpleasant happens anywhere the witnesses see it is a sign of the "times". They preached this at the two international conventions in New York in 1950 and 1953. It was strongly implied that 1954 might be when all of this doomsday stuff would start. The came 1975, you probably know the story on that one. One local elder mentioned to a friend of mine that "things are heating up in the middle east now " so we should do all we can to sell books and magazines. He didn't quite put it that way but that is what he meant. Now the implication is that Noah preached 120 years before the fllood so 2034 might be the date of the big A..

The Quotes site has some very good info on all of this. I like his site because he makes no editorial comment, he just quotes from the wts literature. Bug

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi Aztec, I enjoyed this thread on the Flood. I couldn't find a really good article Garybuss wrote on the subject but I will keep looking. It was great.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/68851/1.ashx

This work of AlanF's is awfully good:

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

I liked this site about cult characteristics:

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hello! Below is a really good site about how to tell if a religion is a cult or not. Interesting how you will see that most of the info points to JW's being a CULT! (Who would have figured)........

www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html

Good luck on talking to your father!!!

• Gadget
    Gadget

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/65777/1019075/post.ashx#1019075

You could also ask him why god allows bad things to happen. The official witness response is that it is in response to a challange laid down by Satan in the garden of eden, that man doesn't need god, and Jehovah is letting things take their natural course to prove beyond doubt that mankind needs gods help to survive. But if you look at Gen 11:6-9 it says

After that Jehovah said: "Look! They are one people and there is one language for them all, and this is what they start to do. Why, now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them. 7

Come now! Let us go down and there confuse their language that they may not listen to one another?s language." 8 Accordingly Jehovah scattered them from there over all the surface of the earth, and they gradually left off building the city. 9 That is why its name was called Ba´bel, because there Jehovah had confused the language of all the earth, and Jehovah had scattered them from there over all the surface of the earth.

So Jehovah has already lost the challange laid down by Satan, he had to cheat by mixing the languages to put himself in a position to win, and so is like a firefighter who commits arson so that he can run in and put the fire out and be veiwed as a hero.......

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Aztec,

This is so much easier of a task than you think! First, you're only wasting your time trying to convince your father of your view of the Watchtower Society. Secondly, and more to the point, what you really want to do is modify his behavior. Practically anyone's behavior can be modified. You simply tell him this, "Dad, I love ya, but I don't wanna talk about the Watchtower Society or anything to do with it. And I also don't want my kid being spoken to about it." (You put this is in your own words of course.) Now, if he respects your request first time outta the box, great! (He prolly won't). But if he persists, then everytime he mentions something JW to you or to your kid, simply remind him. Be firm, there's need to be rude. Most people with any sense of reality will respect a request like this. And the beauty of this approach is that you won't be arguing with your father about something he believes strongly about. It's all about setting boundries. Do it this way, and you'll have success. Do it by arguing with him and you'll only wind up alienating him and creating hard feelings. Trust me on this one. I've been through this learning curve with my own mother.

Good Luck,

Steve

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

If your dad is comfortable with his beliefs I'm not sure how much doctrinal reasoning will get through to him. Sometimes these arguments can just keep going in circles. I don't know just how much pressure he's putting on you, but perhaps he should be reminded of something. He has freedom of religion. So do you. You have the right to be free from religion too, if you choose, without constant harassment. You have the right to make this decision for your minor children as well. If a JW knocked on my door day after day harassing me in spite of my repeatedly saying "I'm not interested" I would eventually knock him down on his ass.

It never ceases to gall me, the way JWs brag about their court battles to fight for freedom of religion yet they are the first to try to trample upon that freedom when it suits them, especially in the case of family members.

If he has any respect for you as a human being then he should respect your right to decide for yourself what you will or will not believe.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit