Mormon's rent Kingdom Hall

by DevonMcBride 12 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/198134p-171112c.html

It seems the Mormon's are having the same recruiting problems as the JW's.

It's hard-knock life

Mormons bring message to Manhattan

By RYAN BLITSTEIN
    DAILY NEWS WRITER

Young missionaries gather outside new $10 million Mormon temple at 65th St. and Columbus Ave.
    Garrett Reden, dressed in a coat and tie, knocks on the door of an upper West Side apartment. It opens a few inches until the chain-lock catches and an elderly woman peers through.

"Hello. We're missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," Reden, 19, tells her, "and we want to share a message with you."

"No, no, no," the woman says, motioning him away.

"All right," he tells her, "have a great day." He and companion Jeff Hildebrandt, 20, then head to the next apartment.

"We really are excited about this message; it's something that means so much to us," Hildebrandt says later. "But it's hard when you talk to a thousand people a day; you've been turned down a thousand times - you get frustrated."

In its 175th year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as the Mormon Church, has 12 million members worldwide. Yet while its 60,000 missionaries have been successful recruiting in foreign countries, they have struggled to find new members in the U.S.

But not so in New York, where membership has increased 38% over the past 10 years. This month, the church celebrated the opening of a new, $10 million temple near Lincoln Center.

Joseph Smith organized the Mormon Church in Fayette, N.Y., in 1830, and the New York City mission, established in 1839, was one of the first. Religious persecution eventually forced Smith and his followers to settle in Utah.

To the outsider, the missionary life is as regimented as boot camp. Missionaries rise at 6:30 a.m., spend the day visiting apartment buildings and homes, setting up meeting tables on the street, teaching lessons to potential converts and, after planning for the next day, get into bed by 10:30.

"We don't date, watch TV, go to the movies or plays," says Hildebrandt, who isn't allowed to listen to music other than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and classical selections - not even his own CDs. "We're 100% focused on this. It's kind of like a break from reality."

Because it includes locales as diverse as upscale Stamford, Conn., and the poverty-stricken South Bronx, this mission is one of the most challenging for its young workers, even compared with far-off Third World locales.

It is hard enough to convert Americans, with their high level of religious and secular educations, but misconceptions spawned by the Internet have made it even more difficult, Hildebrandt said.

He has had people tell him the church is a cult and that they sacrifice animals. One woman in the Bronx even said she was afraid of live snakes and coffins that she'd heard were part of the baptism ceremony.

On the upper West Side, missionaries might be able to find one person to teach a 45-minute lesson to per week, and baptisms are rare. But the budding Harlem branch of the mission has 10 to 15 sitdown lessons and one baptism into the church every week. And the Jehovah's Witness chamber hall the church rented a few years ago is filled during services.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The WTS leased out a building to the Mormons??????????

Can this be verified? I'd be very very interested.

• zev
    zev

not the first.

in Fall River Massachusettes in the late 90's we sold our KH to the LDS so we could build one not on the hills and so dangerous to get to in the winter, and have more parking.

so they built it on a parade route.

dummys. someone didn't do all their homework.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

And we thought JWs weren't ecumenical!

• Mary
    Mary
    It is hard enough to convert Americans, with their high level of religious and secular educations, but misconceptions spawned by the Internet have made it even more difficult

LMAO! Isn't that typical of a cult. All the information available to people now via the Internet is all considered "misconceptions", no doubt by "apostates" of the Moron Church. Why am I getting de ja vu suddenly???

• Deleted
    Deleted

That's really weird. My Mormon/KH story is quite different. Many years ago, while we we Borg, my son had a friend whose Dad was the bishop of the local LDS ward at that time. Dan's friend was a nice little kid, there weren't a lot of choices for local pals and me being liberal, even then, it was fine. We were going to do a remodel of the KH and I asked the LDS bishop if their church, about 200 yds away was connected to the city sewer system. It was, they had dug the 1/4 mile to get connected themselves. I asked if we could connect to them. Fine was the response. The Estacada Oregon KH was on a septic tank. and still is. I told our PO this and he steamed back "we will have nothing to do with those people". And that was that.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Two years ago the Elders had rented a Muslim hall to celebrate the Memorial.The Muslim used the place for all kinds of events, parties, weddings, etc. Still we would not attend a Memorial in a Muslim Hall that was also used for their religious services.

Blueblades

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So much for "Jehovah's house".

• blondie
    blondie
    In its 175th year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as the Mormon Church, has 12 million members worldwide. Yet while its 60,000 missionaries have been successful recruiting in foreign countries, they have struggled to find new members in the U.S.

But not so in New York, where membership has increased 38% over the past 10 years. This month, the church celebrated the opening of a new, $10 million temple near Lincoln Center.

How can that be in the heart of FDS/GB territory!!!!!

Actually, the congregation in one area rented space from the VFW and the Oddfellows. I can remember them saying that the flag was in the corner at every meeting. There is nothing wrong around here in selling a KH to a another religious group, one recently to Muslims and another to a Baptist Church. Money is money whether it is a lump sum or a montly payment.

Ecumenical would mean that the would be holding the meetings together, worshiping together.

Of course, these rules like any other in the WTS are not applied equally in all areas.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I asked my father-in-law why we can rent VFW halls for memorial & gathering (when this money goes to

people that served in war), but cannot contribute stuff to salvation army or go to the YMCA!

Hypocrites

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit