The Answer to high Gas Prices.....

by ThiChi 159 Replies latest social current

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Any thoughts on Mr. Taylor?s Claims?

U.S. Demands Greater Oil Output, Lower Prices

"Finance ministers from the United States and other major industrialized countries, hoping to affect the outcome of a battle within the Organization for the Petroleum Exporting Countries, formally demanded yesterday that oil-exporting nations raise production and lower prices to a level 'that is consistent with lasting economic prosperity,'" The New York Times reports. In "OPEC Is No Friend of Ours," Jerry Taylor, director of natural resource studies, writes: "If OPEC disappeared tomorrow, oil prices would drop to somewhere around $8 a barrel and gasoline prices would almost certainly be south of $1 a gallon. A price collapse of that magnitude would do more for consumer welfare and the overall health of the American economy than almost anything that's been put on the table by President Bush or his Democratic Party rivals. Accordingly, the OPEC cartel should be resisted, not embraced, and policy should aim at undermining it, not propping it up."

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I thought we went into Iraq to steal the oil? What went wrong?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

If you do the Math, we are spending more on Iraq?s freedom (and infastructure) than we could ever make up in oil.

We get more oil from Canada and Argentina than we do Iraq, those countries would be much easer to invade than Iraq....

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, TaiChi

Ya already tried,,, remember The War of 1812? Get thee back below the 40!

Just foolin' with ya, buddy.

tal

• Simon
    Simon

The answer?

USE LESS FUEL !!

Y'know ... you can get cars that do 70+ MPG? You do NOT need "Humvees" and such like to drive on a highway for gods sake !

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: The high price is cause by the shambles in Iraq and the increase in world demand with China's economy especially using a lot.

The solution to "just pump more" is very short-sighted as it provides no incentive to improve efficiency and will just mean that it runs out quicker (images of Americans sobbing next to stationary SUVs and wandering aimlessly on empty highways )

Also, too much, too quickly can create a boom-bust scenario that leads to a crash of world economies.

• blondie
  • Dan-O
    Dan-O

What puzzles me is that 20 years ago, many of the oil drilling jobs (and employment in related industries) in the continental U.S. dried up because the oil prices were so low that it was economically unfeasable to pump from those wells. Now that oil is in the $40 per barrel range, does it make sense to re-open those wells?

As for our love of gas-guzzlers, Simon ... yeah, it was darn near painful to see my total at the gas pump last night ($46.25), but I'll keep my V-8 powered beastie in spite of the 16 MPG fuel consumption.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

You think you guys have it bad ???? Approx. 83% of our fuel cost is tax, with prices about £3.60 per gallon - can you imagine paying $7 for a gallon (approximate equivalents!)

I've started pushing my Goldwing to the tops of big hill just so I can roll down em again cos the fuel costs too much!!! bloomin knackered I am!!! LOL

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Simon.

I was just wondering what cars really get 70 miles per gallon of gas.

Maybe someone could post some pictures of those cars. Or tell me which ones they are referring to.

Now it has to sit 6 people for me.. and my family.

I'd really like to have some recommendations.

I have a van now.. but have one off to university in a year and then would only need to seat 5 most of the time.

I agree these freakin big SUV's and Big Ram 4 wheel drive trucks, I just don't see the need of them.

sincerely

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit