Major bummer

by flower 13 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

A week before the fest and my little one has come down with mono!

Doc says it can last a week or up to a month. I'm keeping my fingers crossed 4 days of R & R is all that he needs to get better and that I dont catch it. Were supposed to leave for Jersey on Wednesday next week.

Anyone got any secret home rememdies for mono? Doc says there is nothing to do but treat the fever and not do anything too physical.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Mono huh? Has your little stud muffin been going around kissing all the little girls?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

There's an apostofest in Jersey? And I wasn't invited?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Whats Mono?

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

when it's related to "kisses" it could be "Pfeiffer" also known as the Kisses desease.

if its not Pfeiffer then I don't know either...

Anyhow, I hope that he is cured soon and that you don't get it.

• flower
    flower

No Neon..I'm going to jersey first for a couple of days then leaving the little one with family and heading off to DFW for some apostafun. At least I hope so.

Oh yea Elsewhere..hes a ladys man already 4 sure.

mono...the more popular term for mononucleosis

What is "mono?"

Infectious mononucleosis, "mono," and "kissing disease" are all terms popularly used for the very common illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). By the time most people reach adulthood, an antibody against EBV can be detected in their blood. This means that most people, sometime in their lives, have been infected with EBV. (The body's immune system produces antibodies to attack and help destroy invading viruses and bacteria. These specific antibodies can be detected in the blood of patients who have been infected.) "Mono" is most often diagnosed in adolescents and young adults. However, it is also seen in children. Generally, the illness is less severe in young children, which may explain why it is less commonly diagnosed in this younger age group. While there are other illnesses falling under the broad classification of "mononucleosis," the one caused by the EBV is by far the most common

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    No Neon..I'm going to jersey first for a couple of days then leaving the little one with family and heading off to DFW for some apostafun. At least I hope so.

Phew, I was afraid I had gotten disfellowshipped from the apostate organization.

• Odrade
    Odrade

not a miracle cure, but it will help. Give lots (LOTS) of Vitamin C, and lots of Bioflavanoids. It will ramp up the immune response without resorting to weird herbs or medication. Also, lots of liquid and water to keep hydrated and keep the immune organs flushed out.

poor kid.

• jwbot
    jwbot

I had mono this past winter. (my boyfriend did not get it, despite the many kisses I gave him).

It was the worst sickness. I had it for 2 months (Nov/Dec) but felt it strong for another several months, and only in the past month, have I been feeling better. I failed my winter semester because of it, and had a hard time catching up my spring semester and still lost a lot of time (bounced back acedemically though, 3.5 GPA from a 2.05!!). The only reason I did not end up on the street is because my computer tech job enables me to work from my own computer at home, and wireless internet in my house and a laptop even allowed me to work from my bed! I slept a lot too...I couldn't help it...*sigh*

Because of having mono, I am also more suseptable to other viruses and I have had several severe colds and the flu since then. Too bad my parents insurance just dropped me :(

Maybe since your child is young, they will bounce back faster...but be careful, it really sucked the life out of me.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Dearest Flower so sorry to hear the munchkins are sick. Here is a little research I did for you. I hope it helps

I also hope that somehow you will get to New Jersey.

Mononucleosis is a viral infection causing fevers, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck. It is typically caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), but can also be caused by other organisms such as cytomegalovirus (CMV). Both viruses are members of the herpesvirus family. Mononucleosis is a viral infection causing fevers, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck. It is typically caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), but can also be caused by other organisms such as cytomegalovirus (CMV). Both viruses are members of the herpesvirus family.

Treatment

Most patients recover within 2-4 weeks without medication. Younger children often don't have symptoms, while some older patients may have fatigue for up to 6 weeks.

There is no specific treatment available. Antiviral medications do not help. Steroid medication may be considered for patients with severe symptoms.

To relieve typical symptoms:

• Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain and fever.
    • Gargle with warm salt water for sore throat.
    • Get plenty of rest. Drink plenty of fluids.
    • Avoid contact sports while the spleen is enlarged (to prevent rupturing it).

Expectations (prognosis)

The fever usually drops in 10 days, and swollen lymph glands and spleen heal in 4 weeks. Fatigue usually resolves within a few weeks, but may linger for 2 to 3 months.

Please take care and all the best.

All my love

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit