Why didn't Sadam........?

by confusedjw 53 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

Embargos and sanctions actually have the oppsite effect to those intended (or pretended) - they reinforce the power of the dictator.

Damn, we actually agree on something. Embargos would work against a country like the US, but not a thrid world country of any shape or size.

• Xena
    Xena

thank you

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I agree with you Yeru! Also don't forget the oil-for-food scandal, as this may have been a factor in that many high ranking officials got huge kick backs from Saddam.....

And now we're finding out that the UN General Secretary's son had a hand in the whole mess, with his father turning a blind eye.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I have always thought that sanctions were a bad idea and I've never seen them accomplish their goal. I've been told that the stratagy behind it is that the people will get so upset about not having all the things they need that they will overthow the dictator causing the problem. But the people end up seeing the countries enforcing the sanctions as the bad guy and their poor dictator is doing the best he can. Or they simply don't have the resources to build a resistance force.

TimB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit