Happy at Bethel. Can't believe what I'm seeing.

by Pubsinger 109 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    OMG!  It is hard to imagine that this is the same religion that Russell and Rutherford were a part of.
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

Magwitch:

OMG!  It is hard to imagine that this is the same religion that Russell and Rutherford were a part of.

Why not. They celebrated Christmas and birthdays too. Christmas was only banned by Rutherford in the 1920s, and birthdays weren't banned until years after his death.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I reckon that this video was purposely leaked. Or was given the all clear of the GB. I believe that.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    This kind of upsets me a bit, to think what I missed out on on my youth with dancing to now find out at age 40 that there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.
  • floriferous
    floriferous

Well done Iggy! Took the words right out of my mouth.

• WHATSGOINGON
    WHATSGOINGON

Found this on YouTube - At first I thought it was the witness video but looks like the JW's stole this idea from these

guys.

Check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vj9ys87xBE

Apparently it is a christian Presbyterian school video which was posted in March 2014.

WGO

• WHATSGOINGON
    WHATSGOINGON

Just looked into this apparently Pharrell Williams song is being used by THE UNITED NATIONS.

I did not know this. But check this out as it is very interesting.

http://unfoundationblog.org/international-day-of-happiness-2014/

Didn't Jesus say to be no part of the world.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

First time posting here... I have been enjoying so much of the discussions on this site.  Thank you all.  I apologize in advance if I step on anyone's toes, etc.  Feel free to correct me.

Wanted to weigh in on the Bethel video...

When I watched the video, I was a bit puzzled because the “Organization” I grew up with (~30 years ago) had a very “Old Testament”/no-nonsense view of dancing and listening to worldly music.  I remember a "District Assembly" in the mid-80s (Denver, CO) where the District Overseer marched to the podium and put on a Michael Jackson glove on and proceeded to give a talk on "Idolatry" and "Worldly Music" to shame a lot of people.  Yes.  That actually happened.

Further, didn’t they just have a discussion on how the JWs need to learn to appreciate Kingdom Melodies and move away from worldly music? Also, it is my understanding that the “Organization” is trying to discourage independent productions/materials that represent them.  

Which made me think: 

- If the video was not sanctioned by the GB, are they going to take the names of each person and have a “little talk” with them? In which case, they are not going to be very “happy” for long.  

- If the video was sanctioned by the GB then I am really confused cause this is a music video with worldly music and dancing within the context of something related to the JWs.  The message that was inculcated when I was growing up is "Don't Do That!" followed by severe chastising and correction. No exceptions.

- Or it could be that the GB is turning a “blind eye” to stuff like this when it suits them. In which case, maybe a JW can go ask an elder if there are some guidelines for making music videos (I would love to hear that conversation). 

If you are a JW please understand I am not trying to take your fun away.  I'm not being a "hater".  And, no, I am not jealous that the new generation of JWs is getting to do things I wasn't allowed to do.  You should be having fun and dancing, etc.  This is normal behavior. I am just trying to understand what I saw through the "Organization's" own internal logic. Just trying to get a handle on what the “Organization” is saying vs. what the "Rank and File" are doing.  And, it is making me confused because this isn't the only thing where there seems to be a mixed message (e.g. new light, etc.).

On a side note: I actually liked the video. The music is good, the choreography wasn’t half bad, and the level of energy is very high. But then again, I am easily amused and my tastes are questionable. 

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger
    So it does seem the video has now been 'pulled' or does anyone have a live link?
  • carla
    carla

I did not watch the video but assume it is a bunch of jw's dancing to the 'Happy' song?

I wonder if they have permission to use the song in this way? Do they need permission to do this from Pharrell Williams? aren't they supposed to pay a small amount to use his song?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit