When doing territory, did you prefer streets or blocks?

by truthseeker 16 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Having done field service in the UK, I preferred working streets as opposed to blocks in the US. Working "blocks" was confusing, as more often than not, we would have no idea which way to go, or how far to go. At least with a street, you could work over and over and completely cover it, and not have to write "stopped at 125 XXX Ave"

Which do you prefer?

• blondie
    blondie

I liked blocks because the end seemed closer; we had long streets.

Blondie

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i preferred blocks, because apparently armageddon was "just around the corner..."

bethelight

• Maverick
    Maverick

I preferred Dunkin Donuts! Maverick

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

actually, what am i saying... service sucks!!! the only good thing about it, was, when i was a kid (before the donation arrangement), if i placed a set of magazines, i got to keep the 70 cents and spend it on whatever kids spent 70 cents on in the 80's

Breathel

• blondie
    blondie
    preferred Dunkin Donuts

Especially when it was just around the corner at the end of the block.

I actually preferred rural territory; I sometimes only had to go up to one door in 2 hours if we had a car full.

Blondie (who took no dog houses)

• Elmer J. Fudd
    Elmer J. Fudd

Well, Truthseeker,

I was raised on a hillside in Kentucky. I didn't know what a "block" was until I was about 17. Like Blondie, I liked the rural areas where you had to out run the dogs and you would meet a bearded man behind the house working in "bib-overalls" that had common sense. I still have regrets of the crap I told and studied with those people. Oh well, it's over now.

Elmer

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I prefered remote rural areas, where houses were few and far between, and there was a nice picnic spot and swimming hole for a break.

• Celtic
    Celtic

I preferred the country side too, very long farm lanes which took a half hour each way to walk them. Though the dogs being set on us often freaked me right out, plus I was the 'guide' as a kid for a dear old soul of a brother who was totally blind from near birth.

The elders locally wouldn't let us wear wellington boots even though many of the lanes were rutted and covered in deep cow shite and mud and water, they said it would be too disrespectful, we had to turn up in our best meeting shoes, idiots. You can imagine the farmers reaction, most of them guffawed at our obvious ineptitude, posh suits an all. Nuts.

Town I couldn't stand working, meeting all those people when knocking on doors was the last thing I wanted to be doing, walking long lanes, even with the mud and packs of dogs leaping up was much more preferable, at least you had your field service case if they got too angry and could use it to give them a whallop if not a sound boot if they menacingly snarled around you too much.

Glad its ruddy all over.

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

I didnĀ“t care as long as it was far away from home. Minimising the risk of meeting someone I knew. Rural was best for that reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit