My Aunt Is Told That If She Goes To My Daughter's Wedding She'll Be Deleted

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

I have seen JWs attend weddings of non-JW relatives held in churches. These same JWs will turn around and cast judgement on other JWs who wish to attend the weddings of their own non-baptized children, held outdoors or in a civil ceremony officiated by a justice of the peace.

It's appalling the way so many JWs boycott these happy occasions. When you think about it, if any of these people originally RSVP'd and agreed to attend the reception, the family planned for and arranged for and paid for meals for these people who later ended up being pressured to boycott the wedding.

I have a JW brother-in-law who insisted that all the deli meat at a cold buffet style wedding reception be thrown away, and went around telling everyone in attendance not to eat the meat. Why? The bride's parents - who were hosting the reception - were not JWs, but the bride had recently been baptized in order to marry a brother in the congregation. My BIL insulted the bride's parents by assuming that they deliberately purchased deli meat that had blood (aka "by-products") in it.

Even as a true-blue JW back then, I was mortified for the bride's family. My BIL is such an @$$.

Love, Scully

• Englishman
    Englishman

Minimus,

I see why your reasoning that your aunt might be demoted. I never heard of JW's deleting anyone.

Unless they also run on-line forums.

Englishman.

• Skeptically Yours
    Skeptically Yours

Cultish behavior at its best!

SY, same as DY

• Odrade
    Odrade

Deleted = new terminology.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Deleted = deleted from the Pioneer ranks, guys! (I think..........??)

The Pope

• blondie
    blondie

Pope, that is correct, deleted from the regular pioneer ranks, similar to being deleted as a MS or elder since regular pioneers receive their appointment from the WTS headquarters.

Not deleted as a JW.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

My daughter was livid that the elders told my aunt she COULDN'T go. She's more concerned of the trickle down effect that this could have on the others that planned on going. (I guess we should've all just stayed as Witnesses and then we wouldn't have to deal with this crap).........Only kidding.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

A similar thing happened to me and my new bride (the un-believer & un-clean thing ) I was inactive and not attending meetings. My X wife was a goody-two-shoes JW, she had forced a unscriptual divorce upon me several years before. All my relatives and the Elders knew the circumstances...and I was never DA/DF...

I was already getting some shunning and avoidance from more than 1/2 my family -- JW's of course, because of inactivity. However, when they met my fiance at my parents, etc. they really liked her and they knew we were getting married. Then, when all the expensive invites were sent out...I was told "no way" they would be attending.

I thought it was because they thought I would be DF for 'adultry' for remarrying period. NOPE...it was the "uneven yoking to an un-believer" crap. (Did they not suspect I was an unbeliever, too?) They knew my X had screwed me royally and seemed to have sympathy for me in that, but they EXPECTED me to marry another good JW girl... !! aagggghhhh!

A lot of them 35 or so, did not even let us know for sure they were not coming -- so we made sure we had enough food for them, too.

I cannot begin to tell you my wifes chagrin at being called an 'unbeliever' or an "UN-CLEAN thing."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit