Was the "Beware the Voice of Strangers" talk given at all the conventions?

by somebodylovesme 19 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Question for all ye wise folks in the know -

Was the "Beware the Voice of Strangers" talk (http://quotes.watchtower.ca/bewarethevoiceofstrangers.htm) given at the District Conventions last summer? I'm not terribly familiar with how that works. My hubby says the same talks are given everywhere, but I just want to make sure. I'm using it in a new little research paper I'm doing for school (ah, the Witnesses provided an endless source of research topics).

Thanks in advance.

SLM

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Yes it was. The convention program is worldwide, the same talks are given (they're 'canned' so the verbiage is the same).

Usually the talks become Watchtower study articles over the next year or so.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Yep. This nourishing spiritual food came directly from mother.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

So the false lies (aren't lies by nature "false?") and propaganda in the media in documentaries must be referencing the pedophile scandal.

These people are psychos.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks! I am going to write about how the Society prevents the exposure of scandals (pedophiles and UN) by restricting access to the medium through which such information is publicly transmitted. Since documentaries and the Internet are specifically cited in that talk, it seems like a reasonable deduction to me.

I love Rhetoric class...

SLM

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Thank you for your post! Yes we got this talk at our DC and I was amazed by the ignorance to the topic of child abuse. Most thought it has to do with certian local matters some knew of.

In fact, news reports were emphasized to be a sort of potential persecution. Remember "persecution" always galvanizes JWs and is used to panic them into a "us vs them" mentality.

The speaker at our DC added, to quote verbatum: "NOT MANY HAVE SURVIVED THE CHAT ROOMS!" My God, I'm under Satanic mind control! In fact the greater Antichrist is typing with my fingers RIGHT NOW!! Some one help me please, I can't stop posting!

I am looking forward to the 2004 District Convention, the program listed on the back of the Awake (8 June 04) "Walking in the Path of Increasing Light"- but trust me you can get an advance "foregleam" here.

Sincerely,

"I survived the chat room"

• willyloman
    willyloman
    In fact the greater Antichrist is typing with my fingers RIGHT NOW!! Some one help me please, I can't stop posting!

This explains everything.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I heard it in the Spanish convention.

It was suggested the computer be placed in a highly visible place of the home so that the parents can supervise their children and viseversa.

DY

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

As far as I know, the talk was given everywhere. The programs that were posted from around the world appeared to be in agreement.

However, I suspect that there was room for some local variation. For example, at my assembly, the speaker referred to the CBC Fifth Estate program and reported some reactions that appeared to be Canadian. I assume that talks in other parts of the world had local references. I also suspect that in any countries where this has not been an issue, the material probably would have been generic so as to avoid creating any interest.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks for the responses. I have not yet had the (mis)fortune of attending a convention... and don't ever plan to... so I'm glad I can come here to learn about how it all works.

SLM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit