New dub scam

by gumby 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Someone tell me if I'm making an ass out of myself and posting something that has already been discussed here and I missed it.....K ?

Anyway.....the dubbers have a new deal goin on at least in my neighborhood. My wife had briefly mentioned some of it to me a few days ago, but I heard it firsthand working the other day where the dubs were working some apartments.

The dubs go door to door and say they are volunteers for the deaf community and are searching for people who are deaf. They ask the housholder if they know of anyone and where they live so they can contact them. They don't tell the householder it's a bible message they wish to deliver that I'm aware of......only that they want addresses of deaf ones.

Nothing wrong with it really as far as a means to reach people....but the presentation to the householder made it sound as though they were helping out deaf people in some way and wanted to know where they lived so they could help them.

I guess it just seemed tricky and underhanded to me. I'm surprised the householder does'nt say..."if your a volunteer for the deaf, then why the hell you askin me where they live"? ( maybe they do)

Gumby

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

there getting desperate aren't they

• Nina
    Nina

That's not new...they have done it off and on for at least the past 10 years.

It's underhanded but par for the course, imo.

Nina

• Gadget
    Gadget

When I went on the foreign language work in Liverpool(Chinise-Cantonese) if someone answered the door who was not obviously chinise then we would ask them if we had the wrong house, and did they know which house the chinise actually lived in. The reasoning was that we only had very limited time each week to contact the chinise because of the large territory we covered and so should not spend time witnessing to nonchinise and instead leave that to the local witnesses. This sounds very similar to your situation.....

• Angharad
    Angharad

They are doing it over here too - they came to our door a few months ago. It wasnt anyone that I regcognised so they must have been from another area and they must not have known that we should be avoided in case of us using our apostarays on them.

but the presentation to the householder made it sound as though they were helping out deaf people in some way and wanted to know where they lived so they could help them

That was exactly what it was like. I didnt realise who they were at first because they did just seem like they were a charity for deaf people or something like that.

Alarm bells only started going off though for me when they used the word 'congregation' and I realised who they were.

I was kicking myself after because I was thinking of lots of stuff I should have said How come you cant never think of things at the time.

A few weeks later, our local KH has a new big sign go up with the meetings times on it - It also says that they are the hall for the Manchester deaf congregation.

Very very sneaky and underhand was the impression I was left with after they had been

• badboy
    badboy

Apostarays,what are those,Angharad?

• Angharad
    Angharad

Its what I think some of the local JWs think we have, as they will not even look at us (maybe they think if they make eye contact with us we will turn them apostate)

• Corvin
    Corvin

This ploy of theirs is an old trick used by many door to door salespeople. It is nothing new.

Example: when I sold photographic services door to door, I would only have a couple solid leads each night and would have to do some cold calling to make my sales quota. I'd go into an apartment complex knock on the door and say, "hello, I have an appointment with a young couple in this complex, but I lost the apartment number. They have a baby . . . do you know which unit they live in?"

The person would almost always point me to the nearest unit that had a young new family living there. They were the best ones to present my services to. I would also ask the householder to remind me of the their names. When I knocked on that door I could call them by name and tell them that their neighbor sent me over to show them my services, that since they had a new baby, they could really use it . . . blah blah blah. It gave so much credibility to my stopping by unannounced.

• blondie
    blondie

It is simlar to the process for finding Spanish-speaking people. The Spanish congregations look through the phone book for spanish sounding names, note the name and address, make up territories and call on these people.

I'm sure it would be easier if they just asked local deaf clubs for their membership lists, fat chance.

There are some deaf JW congregations and groups and this may be their way of finding people (no deaf sounding names in the phone book). Not every JW in the congregations are deaf, but know ASL or are learning.

The deaf community is vulnerable because their physical situation does tend to isolate them from society. I have taken several ASL courses and have associated with the deaf community in my area. At the time I was an active JW and the service overseer tried to get me to reveal their names and addresses. I told him to take a hike.

Blondie

• badboy
    badboy

aNGHARAD,do they really believe this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit