Gum Chewing

by oscar 10 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

In the congregations I attended, most just expected people to have good manners, i.e., not depositing gum under the chairs or on the floor. Most non-JWs prefer than behavior in their own homes and in public places.

Only once did I hear anything from the platform and that was after a new KH had been built and the cleaning crew found several wads of gum under the chairs.

But I'm sure it is one of those "gnat" things the elders use to distract the publishers from the real problems in the congregation.

km 1/98 p. 1 Show Respect for Jehovah?s Place of Worship

Appreciating the dignity and sacredness of our worship, undoubtedly we would not want to distract others by whispering, eating, chewing gum, rustling papers, making unnecessary trips to the rest room, or habitually arriving late for meetings.

km 7/86 p. 3 Not Neglecting the House of Our God

Each one should exercise neighbor love and be careful not to cause distractions. Whispering, eating, chewing and snapping gum, rattling candy wrappers, making unnecessary trips to the rest room, and habitually arriving late all interfere with others? concentration and detract from the dignity due Jehovah?s place of worship. "Love . . . does not behave indecently," and such poor manners are out of place in the Kingdom Hall. (1 Cor. 13:4, 5; Gal. 6:10) Worldly meeting places are often unsightly and even damaged when people carelessly dispose of chewing gum, candy, and food. All of us, and especially parents of young children, should take care that we do not spoil Jehovah?s building in this way.?Compare Deuteronomy 23:14.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit