Gehenna

by Leolaia 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• metatron
    metatron

Thank You, Leolaia!

I love the depth of your posts. This confirms what I have felt for a long time, that the Watchtower's interpretations of Gehenna

are utterly artificial and simply ignore the whole context of belief that existed back then. There is every reason to think that both

Jews and early Christians thought that wicked people would be tormented after death, as punishment. Like 'born agains' today,

they saw no contradiction with other Bible texts on the subject. Furthermore, it was clearly a necessary motivation for those

religions - they lived in times in which brutality was extreme ( by our standards) and commonplace. Today, we have public

debates about executing convicted murderers by painless injection - back then, Tiberias had young girls raped so that they could be executed

as non-virgins. Rebels were hung on crosses in public to slowly die amidst agonizing pain.

They had to believe in hellfire, there wasn't any other emotional choice.

metatron

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Raising this thread from the dead.

This is the first time I've heard that there isn't any contemporary evidence for Gehenna being a burning garbage dump in Bible times. It's also interesting to see the scriptures in the NT that Leolaia cites as belief in a Hell. It's not that we didn't know about these scriptures as Witnesses, but we were always given a shuck and jive as to how they didn't really mean what they seemed to be saying. But it just fits a lot better with historical beliefs of the time if we accept that they mean what they say.

• Whynot
    Whynot

Fascinating! I had no idea. I never evrn thought about doing research on this subject. Thank you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit