What JWs think when they visit "apostates"

by Sirona 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Soledad
    Soledad
    "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field.Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."

good point Sassy. You just never know.....

I think it is so important to keep cool when JWs, especially relatives, visit or try to "encourage" you. Its hard to do, but not coming across as an irrational, fanatical anti-JW is the best approach. A question here, a little anecdote there can really do the trick, even if the results are not immediately visible. As it's been said many times before on this board, reverse witnessing by living WELL is the best revenge!

Thanks for sharing Sirona

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Sirona that was very interesting and I'm so happy you shared it!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Great stories Sirona and Willyloman.

Reading a lot of the elder-visit experiences on this forum, I have to believe that some of what is said is getting through. A lot of JW's are not not strong critical thinkers themselves but certainly aren't blind to all reason and humanity. All it takes is that one thing or something said to get them to think that maybe this ain't all as grand as they once thought.

• talesin
    talesin

Sirona

A great story, thanks for sharing that. It's so true that we never know what will trigger a reaction, and after all, 'living well is the best revenge'.

willyloman

You are courageous. I feel sad that you are ashamed, your heart obviously was in the right place. And you were able to turn your thinking around. Be proud that you did not live in denial for the rest of your life because it was easier. You LEFT the corrupt system, once you realized it was a sham, and for THAT I applaud you.

talesin

• Flash
    Flash

Sirona

Keep telling those JWs what you know. Don't give up. Even though they're in denial, somewhere inside they know you are right.

Your right. I can see the light in the eyes of some of them.

willyloman

Just one of many past actions I am ashamed of. But it did get me thinking and was one of the final flashes of light that turned me into a conscientious objector, no longer willing to serve the WT and dispense their sick brand of justice.

I used to lump all Elders together as the worst of the Witnesses. It's examples like yours (and Sirona's here) that helped me realize that was unfair and there is hope for them too. I guess my anger blinded me.

• boa
    boa

nice success story sirona, thank you

As a new exjdub, I appreciate so much that many of you come across as reasonable and calm despite the strong feelings to do otherwise to this organization. What I mean is that treating the rank and file dubbies kindly lends credibility to the course we've chosen.

As a dub I followed the 'rules' strictly and avoided 'apostate' literature like the plague and figured the reasoning book could handle ANY other religion's beliefs no problem - jeece. However, I also always questioned the reasoning behind the great command to avoid such literature for the obvious reason of 'truth' should be able to stand up to 'half-truths and outright falsehoods' (feb15/2004 wt, 2nd study article) that anyone could bring up - another jeece thank you.

boa

...still wiping sand off of face exdubbie...

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Thanks for affirming that we can make a difference

• Sirona
    Sirona

Its a great situation now. My partner is so happy that John is now out. They spent a day together and he says they did nothing but laugh.

They did touch on the JW stuff though. What about this: John is moving into a new house following his disfellowshipment (necessary in the circumstances) and as Dave and John were moving his furniture in, they realised that a JW lives just next door!!! An elder's mother lives next door, and as they were loading up from the van, the elder and wife and mother all came out.

Dave (my partner) not being DF, laughed and told John that now he is doomed, because they saw him with a DF person, and then I'm doomed to be DF too.... LOL . Somehow I don't think this elder is the type to take it further but noone really knows eh?

They remembered some funny ministry experiences. John just said what we all say, that he is sorry for the lost time. I'm going to give him the address of this website, but I don't think he's too much of an internet junkie. I know it would help him to know "the truth about the truth", so I'm looking forward to seeing him and having that conversation.

Its really made me feel better. Even though they tell you that you are wrong and "apostate" somewhere inside they must know....but can't face it. Lets just hope that more of them leave.

Keep it up.

Sirona

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

That is really a great story. I like to think there's still a little voice of reason inside each JW that is just asleep or being ignored. Sometimes it takes something like this to wake it up.

• freeman
    freeman

Great story.

During my internment as a dud I only encountered so-called apostates twice. One encounter was at a convention in NY City. The bad apostates held up signs that unfortunately I wasn?t allowed to read; my Bible Study conductor hurried me inside. The second encounter was with a young man who was a witness who left because he discovered ?GGGGGGGEEEEEEZZZZus?.

I still can?t understand how one goes about trading one form of bondage in for another, (sorry to you BA folks, I know, I know, his load is light... yada yada) but I have to admit he did indeed seem much happier with his new found faith then he every did as a dud. Yes I did in fact notice that, and now thinking back that did disturb me a little because leaving the ?truth? should have rendered him miserable, or so we were told.

Thank you Sirona for sharing that experience.

Freeman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit