The people who write Watchtower articles - what do you know about them?

by truthseeker 27 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    PS - Did you know that the word "freind" is actually spelled 'friend'?

lol, Dave, I do know that, except in my world, "freind" is correct on odd numbered days, and, well, on odd days too.

Six~ eager to help clear up any Mrs or Mr -understandings class

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dave, is that you . . . ?

Nahh! Dave is the type of bloke who spent his artistic career mimicking chocolate box covers...

HS

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Dave(s) not here man!!!

Dave(s) not here!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Six,

lol, Dave, I do know that, except in my world, "freind" is correct on odd numbered days, and, well, on odd days too.

You know what they say, " A freind in need is a friend in greed'.

HS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Not so much actually.

I was a translator in the French Bethel (1981-1985). There was a Writing Dept. there (with some prominent acquaintance of HS's in charge) collecting material and proposing texts which were later censored, emended or completely rewritten by the Brooklyn Writing Dept. They were behind most "French-flavoured" articles, especially in Awake! but sometimes in the Watchtower as well. They did produce most of the material in the Divine name and the Trinity brochures (as you can tell from the number of French quotations and illustrations in these pubs). And, yes, they did complain a lot about the use that was made of their work.

From the Brooklyn writers, I know very little, except the GB members who happened to visit the French Branch as Zone overseers.

One personal experiment I already related here is the following:

During several years I was in charge of the Watchtower translation. When we stepped into simultaneous publishing, we used to receive a draft of the articles some time before their publication in English. In those inner, temporary documents, all articles had initials indicating their authors. I never paid much attention to this until I had to translate a study article which contained some detail inconsistency with the usual WT teaching (I don't even remember the subject). This was not a "new light" (it was not indicated as such), just some discrepancy which I thought the author had missed. So I candidly suggested we ask the Writing Dept. in Brooklyn if this was really what they meant, because they had still time to change it if they so wished. When my suggestion reached the Branch Committee (including the head of the local Writing Dept.) there was an incredible panic reaction because the initials of the article were "FWF" (= Fred W. Franz)! The Branch Committee answer to me was that we should not ask, rather evade the problem with an abnormally vague translation... And a few days later I was discharged of the Watchtower.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    And a few days later I was discharged of the Watchtower.

You obviously missed the first commandment of Bethel life... you shall not use your brain!

• jgnat
    jgnat

A recent award:

http://www.jw-media.org/

Protect Your Children (Public Service Announcement)
    Protect Your Children received outstanding recognition in September 2003 when it was nominated by the the National Television Academy for an Emmy Award in the category of Public and Community Service. This public service announcement is part of an ongoing effort by Jehovah's Witnesses to bring attention to Bible principles that can help families deal with some of the most complex social issues of our time.
    Languages available: English, Spanish
    Length: Available in 20-, 30- and 60-second segments

28k/56k or ISDN

Videos and text on families and children

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

A single person can write or contribute a watchtower article or study. Generally its a Bethel heavy or a heavy in a branch, but the article is "fine tuned" before it goes into print by the writing commitee. I think our own Blondie could probably write a great study article, but sisters were not allowed to do this. then again maybe a sister would be allowed to write a study article as long as she was wearing a head covering while typing it into her laptop!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit