Holocaust Museum/Cocentration Camp - would you visit?

by eyeslice 15 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

This is a spin-off thread to one posted today about Bethel trips. I find the idea of Bethel, Holocaust Museum and Broadway somewhat repugnant. I have written before about the Society's almost sickening bleating on about the concentration camps. I remember when Poland was 'opened up' and the Society arranged International Conventions there, that there was always an opportunity to visit a concentration camp as part of the 'package'.

I am only too aware that of the scale of atrocities and what went on in the concentration camps. I always try to remember to observe a few minutes silent contemplation on Holocaust Memorial day. But there is no way I would want to visit a concentration camp. I cannot even watch movies like Sophie's Choice, Shindler's List or the latest Hollywood one (can't remember the name; is it the Pianist or something?).

I know we should never forget, least we allow it to happen again (which it has; Stalinist Russia, the Killing Fields, Rowanda). But would you visit?

eyeslice

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - been to Belsen and Auschwitz and I think it is good that we remind ourselves just how shitty man can treat his fellow man so hopefully it never happens again -- I also visited the WTC site at Ground Zero shortly after 9/11 - -just something I had to do -- but that is just me

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I would visit a holocost site just for the historical value. Just like when I watch a documentary on the Nazi's or any human tragedy I enjoy to know the W's as to how such a occurence happened and more importantly could it happen again?

I enjoyed Schindlers List because of the fantastic filming and historical content.

Remember the only coloured scene in the movie, the little girls coat?

• donkey
    donkey

I think it is healthy for people to go and visit these places.

That being said I don't think I could do it. I visited the holocaust museum and I could not get through it. At one exhibit I just broke down and wept like a baby and had to leave. Perhaps it is just too close for me because of my past, including that I have relatives (I never met them) who never made it out of a concentration camp - but that's another story.

Jack

• donkey
    donkey

I used to "enjoy" reading about and learning about the concentration camps as a youngster. Then shit happened...

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I've been to Aushwitz and as depressing as it was, I would visit it again. It's hard to compare visiting a former concentration camp to visiting Bethel.

Devon

• gumby
    gumby
    I remember when Poland was 'opened up' and the Society arranged International Conventions there, that there was always an opportunity to visit a concentration camp as part of the 'package'

.My.....how proud the witnesses are that they have some material evidence of their 'loyalty to god' history.

They will not allow a member to wear a cross as they have said it is a detestable thought, to wear around your neck and display Jesus murder weapon......yet they will display for remembrance the consentration camps where torture and starvation existed. Na......they are not hypocrits.

As for me taking a stroll down memory lane to see past attrocities.........I'm an old bastard now and it would make me sick proly. I can't stomach stuff like I used too.

Gumby

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I have many Jewish friends. I would visit a concentration camp to learn about history, and in respect for my friends. Some of my Jewish friends lost huge parts of their extended family in the camps.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I think it's important to go to these sites just to remind us these were real live humans that were slaughtered. I went to Dachau and took the kids...I prayed the Kaddish (Jewish mourning prayer) there.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I went to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. It was very moving, very sad and very important. As time goes on, memory fades and of course there are history revisionists who want to make people think these atrocities just never happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit