Accepted 66 books of Canon

by SharonUT 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Larsguy
    Larsguy

Hi Sharon,
    You bring up a lot of great stuff. I'd like to address some it.

Enoch quote: One thing is that the WTS does comment on Enoch quote and as noted that the Book of Enoch may have quoted from some other original document that Jude is quoting from. Jude does not specifically quote from the Book of Enoch. So that's on the table.

As far as Jesus fulfilling a prophecy, I think there is a passage that relates to his specifically coming from some town that had the root name of being a "branch-town" and that's the play on words to fulfill Jesus being called a "Nazare." Actually I have to look into this again, but the gest of it was that Jesus would be known as a "eunuch" or a branch, or twig, which is the euphemism for a eunuch since they are not a tree which has branches (i.e. offspring) but are basically the end of their genetic line. So this is the reference to his being called a "Nazarene" or a eunuch because of the name of this town. The Bible technically applies these scriptures so we can see how the Bible fulfills these different things.

I don't want to make this post too long, but I'm at an incredible disadvantage here because of my own beliefs about the canon. But basically, I think the canon we have are what was decided upon, even though other works existed. It is not a matter of including every single document whether true or not. But in that regard, both Paul and John, the two primary contributors, never died. That is, they were two who Jesus chose "not to die until I arrive" and so we can only presume they took some custodial care to make sure the fundamental Bible got preserved and canonized and thus what we have must represent, essentially what we were intended to have.

Finally, whether we fully understand how prophecies are fulfilled from the Biblical perspective is another issue, thus I believe all is well in that area with the correct understanding.

But this will always be debated. I accept that.

LG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit