Dreams

by Elders_Kid 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

Greetings to all!

It's been a while since I have posted here, but I still try to read a thread or two when I have time.

Question: Does anybody have dreams/nightmares about being a dub? Over the course of the past couple of months, I have had some really realistic dreams about my younger days as a dub. Usually they involve me in a heated argument with my parents about going door-to-door. Some times I wake up and it takes me a while to figure out where I am (yes, I am at home in my own bed), and that it was just another of those dreams. I have been out for almost 8 years, but the dreams have just started recently.

Is this common?

-EK

PS. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

• professor
    professor

My dreams of Witness days usually find me going back and participating in meetings, talks, field service, etc. and everyone in my dream knows I'm really disfellowshipped but just looks the other way.

It's annoying to me because I have no desire to go back. But, I do miss my old friends and there are some feelings still there seventeen years later - feelings of hurt for being separated from the people I grew up with over religion (which should be bringing people together.)

Yours are troubling too. We must be working through these issues in the night as we sleep.

Jim

• Sirona
    Sirona

Perhaps your psyche is allowing you to work through some of those issues now, whereas before now you were not ready to face it.

A good idea, IMO, is to write your dreams down. This gets them "out" and onto paper. Its the same old story, if you tell someone about your dream it helps it not to return. I think this is psychological - you've discussed it with someone (or written it and thought about it) and told your brain there is no need to go over that issue again.

Does this dream relate to your parents more than the actual JWism? Maybe this is something to do with a recent conflict with them about something else - and you're working it out by remembering previous conflicts? Has something made you regress back to your childhood recently in a relationship? Maybe it relates to another relationship (not with your parents) but where you feel the same as you did back then? Are you being put into a defensive or difficult position at work?

OK I'm not psychoanalysing you, I just find that sometimes our dreams are a way of facing something in our lives using imagery.

Sirona

• dh
    dh

i often have dreams about bad things from my life, and it takes a minute to adjust to the world and realise that i'm not in that place anymore, sometimes it happens in a dream that i am still a jw, sometimes i have the dream that i am back in time and have to go to school, or the feeling of waking up on a cold morning and having to work a dead end job i once did, other things too, mostly it's not the dream i remember, or even the specific events, it's just the feeling of dread that i am back there again. i also have dreams like this about good things from my life, but when i wake up it's the opposite feeling, not dread but forlorn that they have gone.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Don't worry, it's common. I still have the dreams after 20 years of being out. I feel for you but have not suggestions as to how to prevent it.

Other than the dreams, how are you doing?

Robyn

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I have nightmares that I have a deadline to meet for a talk and that I for some reason can't complete it!

• Dawn
    Dawn

Funny you should ask - I just had the greatest dream about this last night.

I was at a convention with my mom - she somehow convinced me to go with her. And I was so TOTALLY bored because the talks were so simple and not really in depth. So I left the main convention area and walked down to the lounge (apparently there are lounges at the conventions in MY dreams!). Pretty soon a few of the elder's sons showed up down in the lounge and we were all having a great time listening to the music, drinking beer, and smoking (I quit over a year ago but still smoke in my dreams).

After a bit the elders and their wives came down and tried to get their sons to leave the lounge and come back to the convention - but none of them would. We were telling them now BORING the convention was and we were having fun. The elders left and one of the moms then turned her back to shun me and we all laughed at her and went on drinking and smoking.

Weird dream - but I woke up laughing - it was great! I guess I am moving on - I used to have nightmares about Armageddon - now I just dream up ways to make the convention more interesting.

• Valis
    Valis

I do...I have dreams of being w/my family in dublandia, but I usually, much like real life, drift off and end up fishing or some other adventure where they are far behind or not even a part of it.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

Well at least now I know that I'm not the only one! Now that you mention it Dawn, I did have a dream that I was at a circuit assembly and everybody kept trying to talk to me. I was getting really frustrated because I had to keep telling them I was d/f'd.

My wife suggested that I go and talk to somebody about it, but I don't know if having to discuss it, and explain it all to somebody would actually help. We'll see what happens.

Robyn- I'm doing great, thanks. Other than those pesky dreams, things haven't been better. And you?

-EK

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Never had any of those. Have never dreamed about it that I remember.

A Jungian would tell you that there might be some other conflict or control issue triggering you to recall your folks and the WTS at this time. Me, I'm just some guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit