If you are single and have married friends, . . .

by compound complex 26 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    When i see what they share, i'm pretty happy being single and independent. 

I can relate to that. Spending time with couples often makes me want to go home early from social events. I attend very few social events. They bore me.

How do i cope with any loneliness now? I like to have a few hobby's, and having a long term plan/goal on the back burner really helps.

Whenever someone asks what I do all alone by myself, I tell them, "whatever I want."

• badcompany
    badcompany
    I can't remember where I got this quote but for me it's true. "Marriage is the perfect way to f*ck up good friendship." I've been married twice over 20 years. I'm happy to say I have a great relationships with both ex's now. I'm a happy single person even on "the beast of all holidays" coming up tomorrow.
  • Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield
    I refuse to put myself in that ball and chain mess.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I am only starting to realize how truly lucky I am to have a great marriage. I was lucky to find someone so compatible.

I also think it's significant that we found each other when we were young so we are always seared in each other's mind and affections like so many other experiences in youth that take on outsize significance simply because they happened at a critical time. And, I realize that that doesn't make the prospect of finding love later in life sound any easier.

I always shake my head, though, when people talk about relationships being a lot of work? If it's that much work, then maybe you aren't in the right relationship? Or you desperately need to either fix it or move on. We did have a point where we went to counseling for a short period of time, mostly about parenting differences, but we did the work and cleared the difficulty. Our marriage is not hard work; it's a joy!

Personally, parenting has been a much more difficult and fraught endeavor. That has been a lot of work!

• apostrate
    apostrate

badcompany,

My mother always told me that her dad had a saying, "Best way to ruin a friendship is to form a partnership". That's similar to your quote.

I am 60 years old and never married. I was miserable when I was younger, in my 20's and 30's. Now I'm on the other side of the mountain. I'm pretty happy. All my married friends are the ones who are miserable.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    I married young as a JW. After we got out my wife decided to leave. I've been alone just over three years but only felt truly lonely for the last several months.
  • Nevuela
    Nevuela

Actually, I have NO idea what the apostle Paul said about marriage. Please tell me because I can't find it via Google.

Holden Caufield spelled his name wrong. It should be Caulfield, with two L's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit