Ex-JW Cyclists

by new light 17 Replies latest social physical

• new light
    new light

It's a beautiful Sunday morning here and I'm looking forward to the first above-freezing ride of the year. I'm joining a bike club and taking some group rides that invariably fall on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings. It's so nice to have these time slots back. Are there any other cyclists on this board? Anyone just glad to have their weekends free again? I think I'll ride past the ol' KH just to see all the "fine activity" I'm missing out on. LIVE FREE OR DIE!

new light

• Gadget
    Gadget

I used to cycle a lot until I came off my mountain bike one too many times and now I have problems with my knees. I'm glad to have weekends back though, looking back I never seemed to have any spare tme, was alway either working, at the meetings or 200 miles away visitng my girlfriend.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

• new light
    new light

Been where? Done what?

• Mulan
    Mulan

Princess and her husband are both cyclists. They are doing a ride today. Last year they rode the Seattle to Portland (STP) and have plans to do many more this year.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

We just moved to an area that has an awesome mountain bike trail around an old limestone quarry. I don't bike, but we went out there yesterday and took a four mile hike. We live about a block from the Kingdoom Hall, and passed by on our way out of town. It definitely crossed my mind how much more fun weekends are now! My kids are signed up for soccer, and all the games are on Saturdays.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Yes. I joined a local bicycle club here in the DC area. Yesterday, I rode 10 miles out of the city to join a group ride. Then I rode 29 miles through some quiet suburban streets with the group and then rode the 10 miles back home. Much more enjoyable than what I used to do on Saturday mornings. I also commute to work on my bicycle and my usual route to work takes me by a KH. It gives me a little reminder of how much less hectic life is now.

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

I cycle outdoors on my KHS Flite 900:

when it's dry and the temperature is above 60F, otherwise, indoors on my LifeCycle when it's below 60F, 3 days per week (on the other 3 days I run).

• new light
    new light

NICE WHEELS, LOVE TRUTH! I ride a 2003 Raleigh Heritage International. It's fitted with Campy Veloce/Daytona all around. I was always a diehard Shimano man, but I bought this bike out of love for the frameset. Once I got used to Campy, I knew there was no going back. Such precision! Such feedback! They say material things don't bring happiness, and I know deep down that's true. But after a good ride when I park this bike and gaze at it, I feel all warm and fuzzy.

On June 6, we have a "Tour de Cure" here to benefit diabetes research. This will be my first charity ride. Can't wait. Anyone else done any charity riding?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Once a year Montreal has a "Tour de l'ile" a 70 KM bike ride around half the city. The 4 years I did it there were up to 40,000 cyclists participating in the ride. I miss that - it was great fun.

I would cycle 10 KM to the start do the 70 KM and cycle home - 90KM altogether. Montreal is a fabulous sity to cycle in and over 200 miles of cycling paths within the city.

I was able to get up to over 100 KM in a day - and it felt wonderful

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit