Reasoning book

by ChileanRick 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ChileanRick
    ChileanRick

Dear friends

Do you know why the "Reasoning" book was reprinted in 1989 after 4 years of published? Because there were some problems with the editor of A Greek-English Lexicon, by Liddell & Scott. I was reading some letter between the WT and that editor.

When you read about the cross (in the reasoning 1985), and the WT quotes Liddell and Scott, the WT gives the impression that they have the same idea about the cross than the WT, so the editor of that publication had to write to the society explaining they have to change that.

Well I don't know if you understand me, but I'll try to be clearer next time.

ChileanRick

• Gopher
    Gopher

It's amazing how the WTS in its "Theocratic Ministry School Guidebook" teaches the JW's to be careful to quote things in context, whether it be the Bible or a secular publication.

But then they go out and misquote religious and secular sources in the "Reasoning" book, in the "Creation" book, in the "Trinity" brochure, and who knows what other publications.

Good for Liddell and Scott! They made the WTS fix the error. Maybe the WTS did the reprint (which costs money) to avoid costly litigation??

I hate it when the WTS speaks out of both sides of its mouth and yet tells everyone the importance of "truthfulness".

• Sassy
    Sassy

I am sure the Reasoning book I have is from the original printing.. although I plan to get rid of, sell or dump all my literature.. I see little need for it in my life

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Sell it on Ebay, Sassy. you'll get top dollar for it!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I remember that in the "cross"-section they referred to "xylon" as meaning wood and that it was used for the sticks carried by those who came to find Jesus. That was dropped in the later edition. I have always wondered why this was dropped.

• dustyb
    dustyb

heh, i have 2 reasoning books. mint condition too =D i'm thinking about going up to the desk on sunday and seeing if they have any old literature that they want to get off of their hands.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Very interesting Rick thanks for posting that info.

Sassy

I am sure the Reasoning book I have is from the original printing.. although I plan to get rid of, sell or dump all my literature..
    Please be careful where you dump that toxic waste!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit