Passion of the Christ: My Review

by SYN 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JCanon
    JCanon

Thanks for your review of the movie!!! I plan to go see it soon as well...also primarily because of the hype.

But already I can see how bias of Gibson steps in. That in relation to Satan being menacing when the Bible says he is incredibly beautiful. They should have had Brad Pitt play him since that is whom he resembles in human expression as far as someone famous.

Interesting: In Heaven God, being very old looks about mid-50's, and has a perfectly smooth "afro" (i.e. note the Bible says in more than one place his hair is like fine wool"). Jesus, who is next oldest in heaven appears about mid-30's or so. But all the other angels who are much younger appear in their early 20's. So Satan would look like a very handsome, yes blond and blue-eyed 22-year old Brad Pitt-type kind of handsomeness.

To depict Satan as anything but exceptionally beautiful, even in human form, contradicts scripture. He appears as an "angel of light" not some dark person who looks like a villian.

Thanks, again, for the review though!!! I'm prepared for the worst..

SUBTITLES? That might be a ploy to get people to come twice. The first time to read the subtitles and the next time to pay attention to the details of the movie. Hmmmmmm...

JC

• SYN
    SYN

Well, JCanon, there are actually not a hell of a lot of subtitles. There are some parts of the movie where people speak, but there aren't subtitles...they only included them for important lines of dialog.

I simply don't see how anyone could view this as anti-Semitic. The impression you get from the movie is that there were only one or two high Priests who enthusiastically shouted that Jesus should be crucified; the rest of the crowd just went along with them, as crowds are wont to do. There are also many roles where Jews display incredibly self-sacrifice, for example, the role of the man who helped Jesus carry his cross.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I saw it Monday night in a large theater full of Christians from one church. They were all practically silent as they left the theater. Many were very moved. I was not. I was disgusted by the film for its excessive fascination with demon presence and disturbed by the incredibly brutal gore. They went "beyond what is written" in the Bible.

I didn't realize till I read a critic's review that the movie was based more on certain Catholic teachings than on the Bible account. If that's true, that might explain why they show demon faces "appearing" in the faces of little Jewish boys who supposedly ran after Judas, tormenting him. Not scriptural.

That might explain why the movie portrays Jesus being accidentally dropped over the side of a bridge and hung by the neck with a thick chain, where he momentarily comes face to face with Judas, who is cowering under the bridge. Not scriptural.

It might also explain why something like a demon/animal next suddenly appears right in front of Judas, like a flash, then disappears, just to terrify him.

It might explain why, in the Garden of Gethsemane, in the movie, Satan was present, with just a hint of a snake or something weird and sinister briefly protruding out of his left nostril (??), and with a snake shown moving out from under Satan's gown between his feet and slithering over to Jesus as he lay face down on the ground agonizing over the upcoming ordeal, and moving up onto Jesus' right wrist, but doing nothing to Jesus. Completely unscriptural - the Bible account says that an angel appears to Jesus and strengthens him. The exact opposite of what is presented in this stupid movie.

It might explain why, after the one evildoer who ridicules Jesus while hanging next to him on his cross, suddenly has a black bird attack him and pluck out one of his eyes. Not scriptural.

So you see, just from these examples, why I feel the movie shows an excessive fascination with demons and Satan.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    We didn't talk about the violence but she really seemed to be looking forward to seeing the film.

She sure changed her story in the few minutes between our appointments. She was very much not wanting to see it becaue of the violence, but that everyone at church was seeing it so she felt she had to go too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit