Uh oh ... caching issues

by Simon 10 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Seems to be some caching issues with the latest update I just released - I'm looking into it.

Strange - seems like certain pages are 'stuck'.

• Simon
    Simon

Ah ... the cache key that was being cleared (to force a refresh) was not identical to the one being set.

So the cached version of some items were not updating.

Hopefully this will fix it ...

(sprays WD40 everywhere, puts DuctTape on everything else)

• stillin
    stillin
    Here, will this hammer help?
  • Simon
    Simon
    Here, will this hammer help?

A hammer always helps.

THWACK

That should do it ...

• andrekish
    andrekish

When in doubt give it a clout.  That's my sound technical advice honestly based on years of professional experience of computers.  But may I cheekily suggest you stop breaking it in the first place?

And please may I borrer yer 'ammer?

• Simon
    Simon

I could spend hours doing elaborate, in-depth and intensive testing before deploying every change. However, you get diminishing returns - even companies with dedicated testing teams run into issues.

So my plan is to test it 'enough' and then deploy. If there is a problem then I fix it. Normally it works pretty well - I save all that testing time and no one notices all he deployments that work out just fine (seriously, I sometimes do a dozen or mote updates).

Hey, it's not like it's a space-shuttle or some medical equipment where anyone will die. The worst thing that happens is the sites doesn't work quite right for a short period.

So point me to the screws and I'll bash them into place with my hammer :D

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Simon...

I've noticed that my post count is halved from 1200ish to 600ish. I was looking for a specific thread I started called, "THE SEED" and it's gone...the first two years of my posting history is gone. infact, my profile says I've been posting for 10 years and I know that it's been over 11. (August 4, 2004)

(my boyfriend deleted ten years worth of my "stuff" this week...everything...all my pictures, files...everything...my entire desktop...gone. I'm hypersensitive about my "stuff" now as you can imagine. *sob*)

love michelle <3

• Simon
    Simon

Nothing has been deleted. It's just the total count that is incorrect because the job to update them failed part way through and I need to change how it works before I re-run it. For various reasons, I wanted to let some other things settle-down before starting it again.

Your topic is here.

You can do a site-specific search on Google, to find it I entered:

site:www.jehovahs-witness.com myelaine the seed

Backups are essential, preferably locked with an identity that only you know. I've used CrashPlan before but tend to rely on Google more now.

The "10 years" is an estimation and it depends which way to want to round things - it's more accurate and useful for very recent things (e.g. seconds, minutes, hours or days ago). The exact date shows if you hover over the timeago value.

• myelaine
    myelaine
    merci beaucoup <3 <3 <3
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "...seems like certain pages are 'stuck'."

Oh yeah; I hate it when that hap...

...oh, you mean web pages. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit