Dateline special

by new light 11 Replies latest jw friends

• new light
    new light

I just remembered that the P.O. of our congregation showed a group us the Dateline special back when it was still new. I am deeply puzzled by this and can only guess at what his motives were. It almost seems like it was some sort of test and he was observing our reactions. Does anyone have any ideas on what would motivate the P.O. to do this?

• avishai
    avishai

Well, maybe your PO wants out. Geez, most elders etc. told their flocks to avoid it like the plague.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I was thinking the same thing Avishai said. Maybe it was his conscience that made him do it.

Devon

• onintwo
    onintwo

I'm curious. Can you tell us what was the setting for the showing? Did he have a few of the Publishers over to his home? I know sure as hell, it wasn't at the KH, or am I wrong, and he actually pre-empted a regularly schedulted meeting and showed it to the entire congregation?

Onintwo

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

well if rumors and such spread around the congregation, and people out in field service ask, "Did you see Dateline" it makes them look like real jackasses to say "no".

It's a good strategy. Let's face it. Witnesses are the masters of denial even after they watch something. At least this way they can make "informed denials".

• avishai
    avishai

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, baby!

• blondie
    blondie
    Does anyone have any ideas on what would motivate the P.O. to do this?

new light, did he make any comments before, during, or after showing this? It might show where he is coming from.

If he said that the media were lying or twisting things, or that the victims were liars, it would be obvious that he is trying to repair collateral damage for the WTS.

If he asked for a response, then he might be trying to weed out "bad" JWs or "confused" ones and set them straight.

Did he show this to a group of JWs? If it was done with just you and him there, then it might have been an opportunity to be candid since there is only one witness to your statements (as long as you haven't talked to someone else at another time). His word against yours.

What has he said in the past about such things?

Blondie

• bisous
    bisous

ok, showing my Extreme ignorance I'm certain but what Dateline special are you referring to?

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I was told never to watch that stuff ,but I did

the one i saw was on silent lambs ,

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Several in our cong had watched it on TV... they made no announcement about it being "inappropriate" to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit