Has anyone ever munched at the memorial?

by Sirius Dogma 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

So what IS the nature of the bread and wine at a typical Dub "refuse the blood and body of Christ" fest? Is it centrally purchased by Bethel at "mates' rates", or is each congregation responsible for nipping out and buying it for their individual (non) use? If the latter, does Bethel do a deal with a liquor chain and direct the congregational purchaser what to buy, whom to buy from and for how much (the way they do with accommodation for assemblies)?

• scotsman
    scotsman

It's a congregational choice, usually the elder who's giving the talk arranges it. Bought biscuits and bought wine in this part of the world. My father would choose a wine he would enjoy later, and it was always pretty cheap. It always intrigued me that on the packaging of the matzos it read "NOT FOR PASSOVER USE." Jewish tradition for the unleavened bread seemed much stricter.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Hey, Scotsman, you're really wicked. I haven't laughed so long for ages!

I recently had the thought that this would be an ideal way of disrupting the memorial. If 3 or 4 of us sat in a row we could polish a glass of wine iff and finish the biscuits. It would mean they'd have to restock half way through and it would disturb that wierd holy holy atmosphere that occurs.

It would be even better if they didn't have any more bread or wine! Would they then abandon the rest of the 'celebration/?

We ate the matzos and polished off the bottle after the memorial every year my dad took it. Wasn't very exciting.

The ones we used tasted pretty good with plenty of butter, cheese and red wine!

Regards,

Ken

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I always sniffed the wine.........maybe some of the wine particles , made their way thru my nasal passages and I am anointed after all.

I am weird,,,,,,,, I like Memorial bread,,,,,,,,,the sister who used to make would let me have it after the meeting,,,,,,,,and I did munch down on it. So maybe I am anointed for doing that. Who says, you can only be one of the 144,000,,,,,between 7:30 and 8:30,,,,,,,,what if you ate the bread at 8:45????

( please note that I am not mocking the Ransom sacrifice,,,,,,,,the real one, just the goofy WT)

Ok, I can carry on now with my stupidity.............I was so worried that one of my three demonized children would become even more possessed and grab the wine and bread, just for the evil of it.

Believe me, I kept those monsters away from that beautifully set table of wine and bread, I got panic pangs thinking they would just pull the table clothe and ruin the whole thing. I would be sure to die for that sin, after I got a called into the library.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Ken, drinking the entire bottle would be easy, but a whole box of crackers is more of a challenge,

My family run a contract cleaning company (what a surprise) and one year we had this one employee (non JW) who came to the Memorial He was someone's magazine route call. He was a lovely guy, had fought in Burma, but was an absolute fright to look at and smelled terrible. I was one of the servers (thrill) and as I passed the bread to his row I just knew he was going to eat it. I contemplated shouting "Touch the biscuits and you're fired!" but kept my mouth shut. He took a few really large pieces and proceeded to eat them. Of course his mouth was dry as he noisily masticated and I struggled with the giggles. He refused the wine as he held that he was teatotal (a fib).

This same guy had a lot of respect for my dad, and after my dad died he told me that his spirit used to come and visit him when he cleaned his one car park. Why my ghostly dad visited one of our staff and not me I'll never understand.

p.s. apologies to any that find this discussion irreverent.

• fader
    fader

My parents normally provided the wine and bread for the memorials when we were in third world countries. They also paid for flowers and other pretty things to do up the KH. MOst of the brothers were too poor to do any of that stuff. My parents always used my grandfathers homemade wine since it was 'pure'. I ate the bread a bunch of times afterwards. Tasted like nothing.

We had a tradition, ever since I was little, that following the memorial we would go out to dinner. I remember something coming out a few years ago how it's not appropriate to go out and party because it was supposed to be a somber day or somethign but we did it anyway.

One year (1994 maybe?), Milton Henschel gave our memorial talk in Rome. All three English congs came together and he gave the talk. Anyway since there weren't any anointed in the English circuit, everyone was fascinated to see someone partake. Some even took pictures. It was really weird!

• IT Support
    IT Support
    drinking the entire bottle would be easy, but a whole box of crackers is more of a challenge,

Hmm, good point. I forgot about the rest of the bottle of wine. View it as a challenge?

Rather than buying a box of crackers, whenever I gave the talk my wife would make a couple of pieces of 'bread.' So what was on the plate was all we had. (Who says Scotsmen - nothing personal - aren't mean!)

Regards,

Ken

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I contemplated shouting "Touch the biscuits and you're fired!"

"Da loving brethren" strikes again, Heh, heh!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Could one be arrested if one were to, say, drop an Alka-Seltzer tablet into the wine?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit