Vile temp agencies

by SpunkyChick 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Huxley
    Huxley

The pimps of capitalism.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I hear that, same temp agency for me. Every time I asked for a full time temp position they'd give me a part time one. Both far from my house. The last one I got was the absolute worst, I suddenly got let go from a very long full time temp position (from Manpower this time) and I was desperate right before my wedding just to have some cash to spend on the honeymoon so I take this temp position at a hospital of course since I asked for full time Randstad gets me this part time one (the thing is with them is if you refuse a position they won't try to find you anything). So I take the bus to the position and they tell me I have to get a BCI because their notary isn't there, my head gasket goes in my car and I can't get there. I tell them this and they say "Just go they really need the position", about a week goes by and they call me and say "Look leave now, you didn't get the BCI and you have to leave this minute." So whatever man, I'm boycotting Randstad they're terrible. If you need a temp position that goes to hire check out either Addecco or Manpower. If you're in the boston area Hoffman Recruiters are great because they'll bust their butt to get you a position or Winter Wyman too. But now I'm at a permanent position and I can stop with the two years of temp positions.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

SheilaM - Thanks for your concern! You are a sweetie!

Did you tell them that you were only willing to travel a certain distance from your home for a position? If you did and they still offered you work that far away- they have a severe problem overall- they don't listen!!

Yes! I told them I was looking for work in four specific surrounding areas, especially the Denver Tech Center which employs many people! And STILL! With Real Estate Personnel, they kept offering me this position an hour from my home, after I specifically said what areas I'd be willing to work! With Aijlon Finances, they'd call me up every two weeks to offer a half days work. I explained that I wanted a full-time job and was still called and offered this crap. My experiences with these staffing agencies is truly unbelieveable! The only way for me to interpret these occurences, is that it's happening for a reason and that I'm not meant for this type of work. *shrugs*

And that really has nothing to do with them being a staffing service but more that they are extremely mismanaged in general !!

I beg to differ...it does have something to do with them being a staffing service, as I keep getting burned with every service I sign on with!

Tuesday -

if you refuse a position they won't try to find you anything

That is so true!!!!! When I'd first moved to Nevada, I registered with AppleOne, and once I declined a job for this lady, she never helped me again.

Huxly -

The pimps of capitalism.

LOL!!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Spunky:

I've done temps in Denver for over 5 years (back in early 80's). My best agency was Olsten. I do remember Volt, and they sent me on crappy jobs, with crappy pay, crappy communication and crappy hours. Can I say they were *crappy*? Hehhehe. Okay.. downright humiliating and disgusting. As I got more proficient at typing, filing, phones, etc. I began to realize I could freelance, and started sending out letters and resumes to the different law firms and stock brokerages downtown, and got some great, long-running free-lance work from that. I was even able to supply some of my friends with work part-time! The downside to it was: I was pretty much on call *all* the time!

I worked here in Texas for temp agencies, and found a few that were crappy (can I say that?) and some that were really good. I actually LIKED temping. I got paid, I met lots of new people, got offered lots of cool jobs, and could work my own days. The downside was: it wasn't stable. But for the interim it was really cool.

CG

• simplesally
    simplesally

Too bad you couldn't find a permanent job in your area? Are you still going to school Spunky?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yikes...sorry to hear about your recent experiences!

Hope things change for the better soon.. and if you're not working in a month, you'll have lots of free time to make it to doodle's fest.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Too bad you couldn't find a permanent job in your area? Are you still going to school Spunky?

Simplesally - I took this semester off to get some bills paid. I was a notary signing agent for loan, title and signing companies, but business is slowing down, and that's why I've sought out temping again. I was hoping to return in the summer or fall semesters.

got more proficient at typing, filing, phones, etc. I began to realize I could freelance, and started sending out letters and resumes to the different law firms and stock brokerages downtown, and got some great, long-running free-lance work from that. I was even able to supply some of my friends with work part-time! The downside to it was: I was pretty much on call *all* the time!

CG - That's a great idea! I've done contract work similar to that, like I mentioned above (notary signing agent) but being on call does suck...and when business slows down...

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Spunky- I can totally understand your frustration and your view of the staffing industry as a whole. You've had some pretty awful experiences !!!

One of the additional problems (not making excuses for anyone here) is that the economy still sucks. A few years ago we didn't have enough workers for the positions we had open at any given time and we'd leave the office every day with 40+ open positions that we simply could not fill. Now things have turned the other way and as the economy comes back businesses are a bit skiddish about hiring people on permanently when they don't know what is going to happen in even the near future. They don't want to hire employees that they'll end up laying off in a month or two. That is also why a lot of companies are restricting their budgets etc and there are more part-time hours positions available than ones with full time hours. It will get better though !!!!

If the services you are registered with aren't willing to find out what you are really looking for and offer you only that- they aren't worth working for !!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

XW,

That is exactly why I am having a hard time finding a perm position. Everyone is skittish about hiring new people. I've also noticed a trind for companies to hire a temp and then later bring them on as a perm. This lets them try the person on for size so the speak. Legally, its much easier to get rid of a temp than a perm employee.

My latest contract position is described as "Four to Six month contract with the possibility of going perm". I can only hope that I impress them enough to bring me on perm.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

(((((((Else))))))) good luck with that !! I'm sure you'll do it !!

And you are right- there is just so much uncertainty to the whole economy it causes alot of apprehension. In Wisconsin a company's unemployment rate is determined by experience rating. If a company keeps laying off workers they have on their own payroll their experience rating goes up and they end up paying more in their UC rate for ALL of their employees. I can get costly.

Many of our positions are temp-to-direct hire. It not only gives the customer the opportunity to take a look at the employee and their work and attendance etc but it also gives the employee the same opportunity to take a look at the company to see if it's a good fit for them. When it works out- and it often does- it works well !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit