The Hubris of the Governing Body

by cofty 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

It's difficult to comprehend how arrogant the members of the Governing Body must be to sanction much of the content that appears in their literature. They identify themselves as the 'Faithful and Discreet Slave' - that alone requires an astonishing degree of pride. But what is even more amazing - arguably to the level of insanity - is the way they then use that phrase to elevate themselves above the rest of the organisation. Remember that every word that is published is first approved by members of the GB.

It's easy to miss because of the way they talk about themselves in the third person and use the first-person-plural to refer to their audience. But try rewriting it in the first person and see how clear their pomposity becomes.

Consider these two examples...

That faithful slave is the channel through which Jesus is feeding his true followers in this time of the end. It is vital that we recognize the faithful slave. Our spiritual health and our relationship with God depend on this channel.” - Watchtower, July 15, 2013 p. 20-21

Which, from the perspective of the author is to say ...

I am the channel through which Jesus is feeding you in this time of the end. It is vital that you recognise ME. Your spiritual health and your relationship with God depend on ME.”

Or...

“We need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. On the contrary, we should cherish our privilege to cooperate with the slave class.” - Watchtower, November 15, 2009 p. 14

Again, the author actually means..

“You need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may you never challenge ME. On the contrary, you should cherish your privilege to cooperate with ME.”

These are just two of hundreds of similar quotes that demonstrate their manipulation and control techniques. Do not be fooled it is deliberate and cynical.

It is also beyond my ken how intelligent adults can allow themselves to be spoken to in that manner.

• cofty
    cofty

Please feel free to add more examples if you have access to the literature and include a translation with third person and first-person-plural words replaced.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 2009, 15th February page 27 paragraph 11,

''Since Jehovah God and Jesus Christ completely trust the faithful and discreet slave, should we not do the same? ''

Since Jehovah God and Jesus Christ completely trust us, should you not do the same?
    Since Jehovah God and Jesus Christ completely trust me, should you not do the same?
  • ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 1959, 1st May page 269 paragraph 7,

''To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organization says is to do what he says. Resisting the organization is to resist him.''

To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to for you obey us who he is personally directing. Doing what we say is to do what he says. Resisting us is to resist him.

To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary for you to obey me who he is personally directing. Doing what I say is to do what he says. Resisting me is to resist him

• riblah
    riblah

2/15/1976 WT page 124: 20 God's way of ruling is by love (1John 4:16). He wants us to do things because they are right. Sometime in the future a test may be imposed upon us to comply with certain information that (we)God brings to (your) our attention. It may hit something that we love very dearly. What will we do? Will we hesitate in applying counsel, perhaps pondering in our mind as to what we want to do about it? If that would be the case, wouldn't we really be asking ourselves the question, 'Do we really want the rulership of God?' Would not a failure to respond to direction from God through (me) his organization really indicate a rejection of divine rulership?

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 2010, 15th September page 8 paragraph 7,

''We cannot hope to acquire a good relationship with Jehovah if we ignore those whom Jesus has appointed to care for his belongings. Without the assistance of “the faithful and discreet slave,” we would neither understand the full import of what we read in God’s Word nor know how to apply it.''

You cannot hope to acquire a good relationship with Jehovah if you ignore us who Jesus has appointed to care for his belongings. Without our assistance, you would neither understand the full import of what you read in God’s Word nor know how to apply it.

You cannot hope to acquire a good relationship with Jehovah if you ignore me who Jesus has appointed to care for his belongings. Without my assistance, you would neither understand the full import of what you read in God’s Word nor know how to apply it.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Cofty,

Messiah figures are common and Christians are not at all surprised. Jesus' warned that these Messiah figures would (1) assume his authority & (2) would be preaching that the time has come.

Luke 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

These two points perfectly fit the WT because (1) since the days of Russel they have been claiming to have Jesus' authority over all the earth (Christ's belongings) and (2) they have preached false dates saying the time draws near.

I have personally lived through two of these predictions, 1975 and the generation doctrine. But, there were several other dates before this.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 1956, 1st November page 666 paragraph 11,

''Who controls the organization, who directs it? Who is at the head? A man? A group of men? A clergy class? A pope? A hierarchy? A council? No, none of these.''

We do.

I do.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 1957, 15th June page 370 paragraph 7,

''It is vital that we appreciate this fact and respond to the directions of the “slave” as we would to the voice of God, because it is His provision.''

It is vital that you appreciate this fact and respond to our directions as you would to the voice of God, because it is His provision.

It is vital that you appreciate this fact and respond to my directions as you would to the voice of God, because it is His provision.

• cofty
    cofty

Great work TC!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit