Should private citizens be allowed to video record law enforcement?

by Fisherman 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Hell yeah!!!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It is happening already isn`t it ? How many times in the past have Law Enforcement officers been sprung by using excessive force on a "victim" by someone who is using a mobile phone to record the incident ?

So a definite YES from me .

• zeb
    zeb

A juvenile criminal gang were harassing the s*** out of handicapped passengers on a train. Guards moved in and the second one of the criminals spotted a camera she squealed "Im only 17.." (so dont hurt me|) and so pitifully too.

The major difference between being 'shot' by a camera or shot by a firearm is usually the blood.

• cofty
    cofty

Chief Constables in England have recently written to police officers reminded them they have absolutely no right to object to being filmed in public.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Are you joking??? YES!!!!

• carla
    carla

I was always under the impression that if you are in a public place you have no expectation of privacy and that would also include officers. If you are at a beach, fair or just walking down the street a photographer can film or snap pic of you and you have no recourse or expectation of compensation for using your likeness. Much like the paparazzi do to the rich and famous.

Naturally this can cause all sorts of problems for people. What if some weirdo is taking photos of your kids or wife? what if someone just doesn't want their photo taken? and so on.....

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Of course they should. There are many fine members of law enforcement but as in any profession, there are also a few bad characters. These methods can help weed those folks out and protect both the citizen and the officer.

Morph - that was a great idea to have you on speaker when your son was stopped. I think that more parents should do that. If you get caught committing a traffic infraction, then a ticket and fine is in order. A bullet is not.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Never trust authority. EVER.

Yes. Record, record, record.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Yes.

Please keep in mind that what you record may become evidence and, if it does, your recording will be seized as such.

Also, if you are recording a police officer struggling to take a suspect into custody it would be greatly appreciated that you either use your cell phone to call for more help or put your phone away and lend a hand.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Not in Connecticut.

http://www.nhregister.com/connecticut/article/Connecticut-Supreme-Court-Police-can-limit-11372119.php

If you upload a video showing a police officer beating your neighbor’s head in in Connecticut, you will go to jail for 5 years.

This is but the beginning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit