Political threads and the election

by Simon 29 Replies latest members adult

• Sassy
    Sassy

I for my part will not make a big issue if Simon doesn't want a lot of political threads.. although I go agree that there are mixed messages if he creates political threads but then says we keep them down. But I also understand the need to keep the political issues under a certain level of control..

And the fact that people get real touchy if things do get out of hand and threads are closed or members escalate to the point of needing deletion because of a reaction to possible hurt feelings or other..

So what ever happens happens here..

HOWEVER.. I would like to say that I think there are two flips of the coin here..

1. Those who chose to remain out of politics even though they are no longer JWs and appreciate not having to see the political threads all over..

2. Those who for the first time perhaps in their lives are being exposed to politics.. hey.. if you grew up a JW and suddenly want to be a part of this world.. we look pretty naive the first time we get our feet wet. I know.. I am one of those. I haven't a clue about how politics work (this is my bf mission this year to educate me) nor what to think about politicians. Lets face it. we were taught not to have ANY opinion as JWs..

That is why IF it was possible, IF we could have a politcal forum set up similar to the Campaign Strategy [ Strategic discussion on specific campaigns (by invitation only)] forum.. those of us who want to talk politics.. could.. and those of us who do not, wouldn't even have to bother seeing it

It's just my opinion.. and I do realize if something like this was set up.. people might have to reallize that they have to keep it under control.. behave.. be good.. and a good consciencous moderator to watch over it..

it's probably asking too much.. but it is my two cents..

• Simon
    Simon

That *could* be done (technically) but I don't think people would use it because they want to make their opinions public and it's hard enough getting people to post in the correct areas as it is.

I'd rather limit the airtime that the election gets simply because people in the past have shown a propensity for arguing and becoming insulting and getting pissy when their political views are challenged and I think it's something we can live without.

As I said, if left unchecked then I've no doubt they would take over - it hasn't even started yet and there are already plenty and people screaming that things are unfair

This was simply pre-empting that while still allowing people some area to discuss it.

• Simon
    Simon

bttt (with argument removed)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

people in the past have shown a propensity for arguing and becoming insulting and getting pissy when their political views are challenged

It's ok Simon, we love you anyhow.

(hoping Simon has a sense of humor today).

• waiting
    waiting
    people in the past have shown a propensity for arguing and becoming insulting and getting pissy when their political views are challenged - simon
    It's ok Simon, we love you anyhow. -yeru

Oh, I've heard a couple of people love you anyhow too, Yeru.

I was raised an Irish Catholic - we were taught not to speak about the Famous Three Things at "gatherings" - Business, Politics & Religion.

Why? Everyone has an emotional opinion attached to each subject, along with hopefully objective knowledge............but some are (cough) highly emotional about those subjects & their opinions & knowledge - or lack thereof.

I think a thread - or an area - for political discussions would be helpful.

If people want to join in? Fine. If they don't? Don't click on. Just let people discuss/argue as much as they want......in that area/thread. I personally think an area would work better.....and mods have discretion to move threads to that area for continuing discussion.

waiting - who's learning slowly about such things.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    I was raised an Irish Catholic - we were taught not to speak about the Famous Three Things at "gatherings" - Business, Politics & Religion.

I understand that, I just disagree with it. Those items, along with sex, are the spices of life. All other conversation is just small talk. Life revolves around those four things. Life is too short to have to limit yourself. Talk about and BE INVOLVED in business, politics, religion, and sex...it's the stuff of life.

• shamus
    shamus

I'm kinda coming to the conclusion that political threads shouldn't even be allowed here.

I go off the deep end and say things that I later regret... I think that you, too, Simon have had this happen too. (too.) (also) (too.)

It's your board, though, so you can do with it as you wish.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

I agree with Shamus. .................... I REALLY don't care about politics.

Mr KIM

• Simon
    Simon

bttt (reminder)

• Xena
    Xena

Just curious if this was still in effect.....seems like there are a lot of political threads lately..........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit