New to the site, but got me on a train of thought....

by dustin_adam 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

I got ahold of the latest Watchtower CD-ROM (2001) From my grandmother, who is still an active JW. i've added below a few direct qoutes from various publications... in one instance below the Watchtower says that the bginning of Christ's thousand-year reign will begin in 1975 with noted exception in error of "weeks or months, not years" then in 1975 they say that "it does us no good to speculate" on the date his reign will start! i'm sure that many if not all of you are aware of these and many other discrepancies, but i thought on the off chance that someone here hadn't read this before i'd post it, i plan on posting more article segments on various other topics as i research them.

1967 October 1 st Watchtower (page 587):

? As the canon of books of God?s Word was expanded and the Christian Greek Scriptures were added to complete the Bible, each book was written directly to the Christian congregation or to a member of the Christian congregation in its behalf. Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah?s visible organization in mind .?

May 1974 Kingdom Ministry:

" Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service . Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."

1968 August 15 th Watchtower (page 494):

? Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly , but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man?s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah?s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man?s existence on earth . It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah?s seventh creative ?day.? Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the ?sixth day,? which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam?s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or ?day? ended, and how long Adam lived into the ?seventh day.? And yet the end of that sixth creative ?day? could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam?s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years .?

1975 October 1 st Watchtower (page 579):

? SINCE a new Jewish lunar year began in September 1975 a significant point in human history was reached. What was that? According to the Bible?s count of time, mankind then completed 6,000 years of existence on earth . Yes, the first man Adam, if he had chosen to remain obedient under God?s rulership , would have still been alive and 6,000 years old in September of this year.

Does this mean, then, that mankind has now reached 6,000 years into the 7,000-year period that God ?blessed and made sacred? as his great ?rest day?? Does it mean that Christ?s millennial Kingdom rule, as the final 1,000 years of that ?rest day,? is to be reckoned from September 1975 ??Gen. 1:27, 31; 2:2, 3; Rev. 20:1-6.

No, it does not mean that . Why not? Well, the Bible record shows that God?s creations on the ?day? just preceding that 7,000-year ?rest day? did not end with Adam?s creation. It shows a time lapse between the creation of Adam and that of his wife, Eve. During that time, God had Adam name the animals. Whether that period amounted to weeks or months or years, we do not know. So we do not know exactly when Jehovah?s great ?rest day? began, nor do we know exactly when it will end . The same applies to the beginning of Christ?s millennial reign. The Bible provides us no way to fix the date, and so it does us no good to speculate when that date may be ?

1980 October 15 th Watchtower (page 31):

? And if the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century , which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War I generation. However, the fact that their number is dwindling is one more indication that ?the conclusion of the system of things? is moving fast toward its end.?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Looks like you are having fun! Try paragraph breaks to make is easier for us old folks to wade through. Have you ever checked out this site?

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/

The site owner might even appreciate some more examples, if you find some. He added a whole section on Paranoia, after I posted it here.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Welcome ! Nice first post....made my brain hurt! Maverick

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

yeah, sorry about the first formatting, i fixed it afterwards by using HTML, which solved the 'one big sentence' problem.... there must be tons of people on here, lol, i didn't expect a reply so soon.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, hello there, dustin_adam...or shall we just call you DA'd? LOL

i plan on posting more article segments on various other topics as i research them.

That would be cool! If you're interested in some stuff as far back as 1877, there're a bunch of us who can help ya out. You also might like to check out www.freeminds.org for CDs of all the older WTS lit.

Kate and I live just south of you...if you'd like to say hello, send me a p/m, eh?

Craig

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

just south of me.... well... fel free to email me at edited and we can exchange more detailed info there, but thanks for the offer for research data, i'll most definitely use it, i suppose that it's being rather vindictive but i'd really like to shake the foundations of some of my more zealot family members who 'still believe'... and rather shocked at how easy it actually is with their own data.

• onacruse
    onacruse

da:

i suppose that it's being rather vindictive

Not at all, imo; "the truth" cuts both ways.

but i'd really like to shake the foundations of some of my more zealot family members who 'still believe'... and rather shocked at how easy it actually is with their own data.

Yes, it is. And as much as I've read over the last decades, it surprises me all the more how what the WTS used to say just blew past my eyes, and my mind.

Craig

PS: I edited out your e-addy, simply as a precaution. The 'personal message' option we have here enables you to interact with other posters here, without disclosing personal info on the open board.

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

i appreciate the precaution, although personally i don't mind, but if it's more of a site policy thing then kewl, i'll not add it in there from now on.

• morty
    morty

Welcome to the board dustin.....

I see you started doing your homework right away....You'll be on the honor role real soon at this rate

Enjoy your journey here..You will find alot of support here to your information that you investigate...

Morty

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

well... what a warm welcome! i must say this is fantastic, never expected this much response to my posting. well indeed! and as far as doing homework and earning an honor role, my nickname to friends and family is "Dr. Adam", i guess i've always been studious in nature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit