The Queen's Gambit (2020) One of the most enjoyable miniseries I've seen in awhile

by TD 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

There has been a lot of discussion, writing, and opinions over the years as to why the majority of top chess players are men. There are some notable exceptions, of course, but the disparity remains.

My own observation is that reaching the top levels of chess takes more than simply intelligence, but requires hours and hours of study and practice in addition. Some say as much as 10,000 hours of study and practice to reach grandmaster level, much of it during the formative pre-age 20 years. Girls for some reason tend to lose interest in the game about then, at least from what I have seen.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Dropoffyourkey - yes, I was thinking something similar.

To be a top pro chess player, you have to basically live, breathe and sleep chess.

Men are more likely to go in for high risk/high reward behaviour.

Women typically tend to be more sensible and have different life balances, e.g. having children and child-rearing.

Feminists won't like to hear it but the average woman has XX chromosomes, is fertile, and wants children at some point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit